DIY Cabs for Open Tractors

Drew Tyson
By Drew Tyson December 26, 2016 06:00
Prev1 of 13Next

Lightweight & Functional

Anybody who has been out on a tractor removing snow during a blizzard or when the wind is blowing wishes they had a cab on their tractor. Not even one of those fancy manufacturer cabs either—just anything! Cabs are great in the summer, but for frequent winter operators, it becomes more of a safety feature and in some climates, a necessity.

Factory cabs are great, and manufacturers keeps stepping up their game when it comes to the features and comfort level of cabs found on compact tractors. But if your budget is tight, an aftermarket option is a good route to go. If your budget is REALLY tight and you want to put a cab together on your own, you might want to check out what some of our members have come up with. Granted, not all of these cabs are low budget, but they are all home-made, which we think is pretty great. Hopefully this will provide some inspiration for your next project.

diy-cab-

Member Jaylegger built this impressive cab for his Massey Ferguson GC2600.  One of my objectives for the cab was to keep it as close to 100 pounds as possible. This cab is for winter snowblowing purposes only and for removal purposes the lighter the better, obviously. The final cab weighs 135 pounds, a little more than he envisioned but still very light for a hard shelled cab and easily removed in about 15 minutes by him. Awesome work, Jay!

Prev1 of 13Next

Lightweight & Functional

Drew Tyson
By Drew Tyson December 26, 2016 06:00
Write a comment

8 Comments

1. Roy wright December 24, 20:50

Your Comments I want to no more about the cab for tractor ant the tractor

2. Roy wright December 24, 20:51

were your tractor built at ?

3. David C. Sanborn December 27, 03:43

I liked it very much, I own two tractors. They both are craftsman tractors, one is a 17HP used for mulching the grass in the summer. The other is a 27HP & has a 46″ Snow Blower on the front,it’s a 2 stage. This is the tractor I want to put a cab on, if I can find a cab kit to install, or plans so, I can build one for it. I am a three time Vietnam Veteran, from the regular Navy. I am disabled & retired Auto Technician. I have a very rare Blood disease, one-in-a-million get, it is fatal, it is cancerous, it is incurable & I am dying of it. When I use my 27HP, for snow removable, I just about freeze to death, when the wind blows the snow back on me. My job of removing snow would be a lot easier, if I was warmer & had wipers to see where I am going & lights as well. I probably won’t find a company that sells a kit to install a cab because, I’ll probably be dead by then. This disease I have is tiring me out. Thank you for your company. I have one other problem that is, after I bought my smaller tractor the 17HP, I’m having a lot of trouble trying to find mulching blades for my 42″ deck, every where I’ve looked for them including Tractor Supply, no body carries them any more, not even the universal ones fit either. I really wished I had bought a better tractor, or a Bobcat skid steer but it’s to late for that.

4. Manila Mike December 27, 12:33

Hi David C. Sanborn. Thanks for sharing so openly about your blood disease. I really admire you for your honesty. Though your body may be sick, I sense a healthy attitude toward your situation. I find it interesting that you are thinking about dying and getting a cab for your tractor in the same breath. I’m glad you are still able, at times, to focus your attention on less important things like blowing snow. I’m a missionary in Manila, Philippines where it never gets any colder than 70 degrees. So why in the world am I looking at an article about tractor cabs? Well I guess it reminds me of growing up pushing snow on a Sears tractor in Ohio. But much more importantly it brought me to your comment and the opportunity to pray to the designer of each snow flake and blood cell on your behalf. Hang in there friend.

5. Dave December 27, 13:56

I have a JD 4210 with back home.

I would like info on aftermarket cabs.

6. mike a December 27, 16:54

I have john deere 4310 with over head cover.do you make any thing for that.

7. joe December 27, 23:14

dave ,try getting a 44 in blade and cut an inch off each end. a small hand grinder with the 4.5 in disc .045in thick will do the trick. sorry to hear about your illness. thanks for your service.

8. Capt_Carl_USAF December 28, 02:30

David, check out Sears for an enclosure if you are looking for an inexpensive solution. $300 for a simple soft enclosure. If you want hard sides, prices go up quick. Sorry to hear about your illness and I hope that you are afforded plenty of time to enjoy a few seasons in a cabbed tractor.

View comments

Write a comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*