Buying Advice 1973 JD450B Dozer

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #1  

dirtdog62

Tractor
John Deere 450B
Hello, I am new to this forum. Have some land to clear, found a 1973 JD450B dozer, 6 way blade, undercarrige seems ok. Machine has been sitting for 3 years. It starts and runs well , moves forward and reverse great but does not steer at all. The left steering lever has some resistance but the right just pulls back. The machine can be purchased for $3500. Is this a reasonable price or should I run?

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #2  
That's what you would get for scrap on that dozer, so yes, it's an EXCELLENT price.... but ONLY if you can afford to fix it. Basically, you need to replace the steering clutches and brake bands on it. Not terribly hard but you need really big wrenches and you need to remove the tracks by pulling the masterlink. That is probably the hardest part of the job. If you do the job yourself you'll spend a few hundred dollars in parts and a lot of time and swearing likely. If you have a mechanic do it it will cost a couple G's ( still worth it). If you have Nortrax or Deere do it you'll spend too much.

Have someone who knows dozers look at the undercarriage to make sure it will last you for what you in tend. It's expensive to replace an undercarriage.

Note that a 450 often sells well north of $10K.

Go to JDCrawlers.com - The Enthusiasts Site for John Deere Crawlers for more information. It is THE online place for Deere Dozers and Crawlers.

Merry Christmas,
Charley

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #3  
I have a 1978 D3 and think you can't go wrong as long as you can do your own work...

I replaced the steering clutches on mine... didn't cost much in dollars... did take a fair time.

To my thinking a good running motor is more than half the battle...

Wish I could comment specifically on Deere.

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #4  
I have a John Deere 450 C, early eighties. Great machine, tough and tidy. Fits in tight spots and never gets stuck. I did just blow a hole in the side of the engine block, but I think that was my fault. Forced it to start on a very cold morning and then didn't let it warm up enough. I'm putting a new engine in it, now. If you don't by that B let me know, I will.

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #5  
I bought a 450A used about 1978 and had to change out the steering clutch and brake bands on one side (right) it wasn't to bad of a job. couple of years later I rebuilt the engine with new pistons and liners, had the head checked at a machine shop. None of the work was that difficult to do but I was younger then too.:D

The price is reasonable but I would listen to others advice about the undercarriage condition. If it needs alot of work the cost maybe prohibitive.

I got lots of work accomplished with my 450, the reason I don't have another small dozer is transporting it would cost me too much to setup.

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer
:)Hello, I just had the 450B delivered. The left side is not driving...am going to pull the small cap on the side and see what's in there. I want to change the oil and filter, any suggestions on the brand and viscosity to use?Also is there any diagrams of the final drives available online? I plan on buying a manual soon.Thanks for the responses to this post.

Last edited:
   / 1973 JD450B Dozer #7  
Dirtdog, pictures would be cool when you get a chance and congrats on the new dozer.:thumbsup:

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer #8  
You can buy the manual online at Deere, it's worth it. Your choice for diesel engine oil. I use Rotella and buy it by the drum. The transmission may use Hygard or Hygard II but you need to check the manual. Some people buy Deere, some go get generic hydraulic/ transmission oil which will be cheaper. I think the choice is yours.

Congratulations, once you get it going you will be thrilled to have it.

/ 1973 JD450B Dozer
Which manual is the best? Service,parts or owners,or all 3?