Gravely minimum ground speed?

/ Gravely minimum ground speed? #1  

rlphoto

Tractor
75 C8 super, 65 LI custom, 84 wheelhorse 3-12, 57 Farmall 230
What is the slowest a gravely 7.6 C series will go? I just got a 7.6 C8 and in low range in slow gear I still have to jog it to go slow enough for bushhogging heavy grass. It still seems to fast for a rotary plow or cultivator. Will a C8 go as slow as an CS?

My 3-12 wheelhorse in low range 1st gear will crawl. And I mean crawl. Will a BCS crawl like that?

Randy

/ Gravely minimum ground speed? #2  
I think the slowest speed on a C/L 8 is 1 mph, not totally sure on the LS but I think it is the same. However you could put reduction axles on the LS to go below that, can't put those on the L/C8.

/ Gravely minimum ground speed? #3  
rlphoto said:
What is the slowest a gravely 7.6 C series will go? I just got a 7.6 C8 and in low range in slow gear I still have to jog it to go slow enough for bushhogging heavy grass. It still seems to fast for a rotary plow or cultivator. Will a C8 go as slow as an CS?

My 3-12 wheelhorse in low range 1st gear will crawl. And I mean crawl. Will a BCS crawl like that?

Randy

Randy-
As I have said in previous posts, yes a L\C 8 is as slow as a CS in low/low gear. Make sure the axle is in low gear. The shifter sometimes sticks and the axle doesn't actually go into low gear (the gear doesn't engage). When this happens I bump the forward/reverse lever and that makes the axle linkage engage. If you are using the 30" rotary you will still have to pause on your initial cut to give the mower a chance to discharge the cuttings. I don't know the conditions you have ex; how tall the grass is and what type and what blade you are using and is it sharp? or new ? When you say it is to fast for a rotary plow just how fast is it ? can you describe it better ? - Kris :)

/ Gravely minimum ground speed? #4  
for the slowest of the slow, track down some old geared hubs for the older single range machines.

you want to talk about painfully slow on low/low....

/ Gravely minimum ground speed?
Hi guys, I have been busy last few days. I guess reduction wheels are the only way to get creeping speeds. Oh well, gravely speeds have been good enough for every one else for the last 75 years of so, so I guess they will be good enough for me. Now if I can just get one to run!

Randy

/ Gravely minimum ground speed? #6  
Randy- With a C8 you shouldn't need gear reduction wheels. Something is wrong. But I see there is after reading your other post. - Kris :(

/ Gravely minimum ground speed?
Now my wheelhorse 312 grounds speeds, (at full throttle) are...
Low speed
1 st .5
2 nd .8
3 rd 1.3
rev. .6

High Range
1 2 mph
2 3.1 mph
3 5.3 mph
rev 2.5 mph.
So the wheelhorse low low at idle is really crawling. Like 1/4 MPH or slower. This is why the gravely C8 seems fast in low low . So what RPM is gravely idle? about 800 RPM?if C8 or LS low low is 1/2 MPH at 946 RPM it probably cannot go much slower than that. If I am bushhogging I need around 2000 RPM right? So now we have a 1 MPH ground speed. This is why my CS still seems faster compared to my wheelhorse. Because it is.

Found the attached gravely speed chart page in an old manual.

Attachments

• GRAVELY GROUNDSPEEDS.jpg
    GRAVELY GROUNDSPEEDS.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
   / Gravely minimum ground speed? #8  
Randy- 1500 is idle and 2800 is the top rpms. Also I had a brain fart with my last post. Gear reduction wheels will not work on a multi speed tractor ( L/C 8 ). You will need an L/CI tractor, then you will have a real crawler and that's all it'll be good for. - Kris