BCS Clutch Adjustment

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #1  

jperry507

Bronze Member
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I bought a used BCS 850, I can't wait to use it. It came with a power sweeper and a sickle bar mower.

There are a couple of small things that I need to fix (nothing major), but first I think I need to adjust the clutch. Whether I hold the clutch lever or let it loose the clutch is engaged. I followed the wire from the handle to where the clutch is, but my question is in what position is the lever in when the clutch is engaged?

Thanks for your help

~ Jim

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #2  
First off I have a lever on top of the handle bar which is red. The lever on the bottom is for the clutch and must be pulled up for shifting gears and let all the way down to engage the clutch.The red handle on top is for when you let go of the handlbars on purpose or maybe fall it shuts the machine off automatically. If your clutch is always engaed it definately needs some adjusting or maybe the cable is diconnected or broken.

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment
I have to hold the red handle down to start the tractor.

If it was working properly when I let the black handle go down the clutch should be engaged, and when I squeese the back handle the clutch should release?

Thanks ~ Jim

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #4  
Yes, that is right Jim , the red handle has a rig that will hold it down untill it is started, sometimes I will use a rubber band to hold it down also. Have you had any luck getting your clutch adjusted?

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment
I'll have a chance to work on the tractor on Thursday, and I will let everyone know how I made out. Thanks for your help!

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment
Hello all,

I played with the 850 for a little while last night. This tractor is going to need some work done to the clutch. Last night I detached the clutch cable, put the tractor in gear, and tried to disengage the clutch by moving the lever on top of the drivetrain manually. I could not disengage the clutch.

I haven't yet decided if I am going to do the work myself or send it to a shop.

Thanks for your help,

~ Jim

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #7  
I have a 735 and the only adjustment I can find is on the cable, similar to a motorcycle clutch cable, the clutch fork comes out the top of the housing and the cable connects there. I don't have the red lever you are talking about.

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment
I'll take some pics and post them here. As far as the BCS is concerned I am going to bring it to a dealer for the repair soon.

Thanks

Jim

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #9  
I'm interested in how this red lever works, is it a forward/reverse lever similar to the old Gravely? Is there some adjustment for your clutch other than the cable?

/ BCS Clutch Adjustment #10  
The red lever is separate from the clutch, but is on the same handle as the clutch and is connected to a 'kill switch'. The clutch lever is on the bottom and this red lever is on top of the left handle of the tractor. It is spring loaded so if you let go of the handle the engine dies. It's just a safety device.