BCS and Berta Plow

/ BCS and Berta Plow #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
I have heard about the Berta plow and could never envision how it worked. I was looking around and came upon this clip, now I think I'd like to have one, seems to work really well, the wheels on my BCS are adjustable and could be set out far enough, but don't know if the 10hp would be enough pull it. May have to take a day and visit Joel at Earth Tools and watch one work in person.

Edit: After watching again, looks like he has wheel extensions to set the wheels out wide enough.
YouTube - Aratro Rotativo - Berta Franco=

/ BCS and Berta Plow #3  
10 hp will pull a Berta just fine. Even 8 hp would probably be OK.

It is an incredible machine for primary tillage, hilling-up potatoes, forming raised beds, etc. If the video you saw is the one where the Berta just rolls along on its own, staying in the furrow without an operator: that only applies if you have no rocks whatsoever. Me & my BCS & the Berta in our rocky soil? We bounce & buck a bunch...

-otus

/ BCS and Berta Plow #5  
Looks like it does a real nice job! Doesn't look like there are many, if any stones. I'd like to see one in real rocky ground. Others have said the Berta works better than the old Gravely and doesn't toss the operator around as much. I got stones flat and bout the size of your palm and I got enough for everyone and then some, I think no matter which machine I used it would be like hangin on to a ticked off rhino!!

/ BCS and Berta Plow #6  
Looks like they have the wheels spaced differently furrow looks tight, and the other looks wider or not?

/ BCS and Berta Plow #7  
I have the Berta, and I can attest that it is not nearly as easy as it looks in the videos when plowing my ground for the first time. It was rocky, clay soil, and hard as brick with the drought we have had this summer. I am a reasonably strong 180 lb. man, and I had to fight with it and mandhandle it, not to mention curse at it now and then, to try to keep it going straight, and even then it still went its own crooked way sometimes. Seems like it just had bit of an ornery streak 'cause I made it work so hard.

However, it does work well for primary tillage. I tried the Rototiller first, and it was really slow going and just wouldn't go deep enough, even with a couple of passes. The rototiller works great on previously tilled ground, but not so good on hard, rocky, untilled ground. The Berta plowed really deep on the first pass, for the most part, unless it hit a big rock.

Speaking of rocks, the Berta threw out some rocks the size of a small cantaloupe, and many, many smaller ones as well. I carted away many 5-gal. buckets of rocks from a 30' x 60' area I was plowing.

Yes, you do need the 5" wheel spacers, at least according to Joel at Earthtools. I wanted them anyway for more stability, so I just leave them on all the time. I can see how you would have a lot of trouble trying to plow without them due to the angle as the left wheel rides up on the top while the right one is in the furrow (or is it the other way around?? :confused: )

Two suggestions if you have hard rocky clay soil: 1) Wait until after some real rain softens up the ground a bit before trying to plow it for the first time; 2) Buy a spare set (or two) of the hardened steel plates that bolt onto the plow blades; you'll need them after wearing out the original on all that rock.

Good luck.
Al

/ BCS and Berta Plow #8  
Right now, I'm not using wheel extensions, but I could see how they might be useful in reducing the angle of the machine when one wheel is in the furrow. Instead, I just have the wheels on my 850 turned all the way out - making a ~26" wide track, which matches my tiller and brush-hog very nicely, and has been at least adequate for the Berta Rotary Plow.

In general though, I don't really create distinct furrows when operating the Berta. As mentioned upthread, my soil is mighty rocky, so I just try to keep the thing going back and forth across a field until the rocks are all unearthed, and the soil is pretty worked. Or maybe I'm just a relatively unskilled operator, and a better BCS'er could make straight furrows. But I "pretty things up" with the rototiller after the Berta to make the final seedbed.

I find that the Berta will buck UPwards when it hits a big rock (which is particularly painful when I've gotten lazy and started to lean my belly against the handles) while the rototiller will buck FORwards in the same situation (which is arm-wrenching almost all the time...)

-otus

/ BCS and Berta Plow #9  
Otus - FYI, the 5" spacers brought the wheels out to a 27" spacing on my 853. They look like they would go from about 2" to 4" wider depending on whether I turned one or both wheels around. Joel mounted the spacers for me before shipping the 853, and I believe he said that the 27" spacing was optimum for the Berta. So 26" will probably work fine; it's not that far off from 27.

Al

/ BCS and Berta Plow #10  
Hi all,
My wife and I are about to close on a small rural property. about two acres of it lies on a fairly steep hillside (15-18%) that was cleared of timber, grew up in second growth brush and then cleared again. We intend to plant it all in fruit and nut trees, bramble fruits, grapes and berrries.
Our intention is to form the entire hillside with contoured swales, and I would like to do it without hiring heavy machinery. Rather than pay someone else, investing that money in equipment makes more sense.

Here's the question: our soil is similar to the below post, mostly gravelly clay overlaying chert rocks. I don't mind working gradually at this project using smaller machinery. It kind of sounds like a large walk behind (bcs 853, for example) with the berta plow might be an option. What happens when that thing hits a well buried rock? Will it just ride over it or am I risking equipment damage if the rocks get to big to be tossed aside by the blades?

other than that, it looks like earth could be moved sideways with successive passes to form the swales.

I really dont want to buy a four wheel tractor for the property in general; the walk behinds seem like a more appropriately sized technology, especially with the diesel engines and their potential for using biodiesel. Plus, I'm not thrilled at working that steep hill with a four wheel machine.

Has anybody used this setup for earth shaping in this manner? It seems like the model that allows switching the plow from side to side would be the one to use on a steep hillside.

I am willing to augment the basic tractor with extra wheels or wheel weights (or both) to aid traction if the basic setup has the power and ability to do the job.

While I am at it, I also need to fix the pond spillway and do some basic land shaping around the buildings. Anybody have experience using the dozer blade? Many passes with a small machine seems better than having a heavy yellow dozer compacting my soils any more than they are already.

I will be calling Earth Tools about all this, but welcom any input.

thanks

clarksvilleal said:
I have the Berta, and I can attest that it is not nearly as easy as it looks in the videos when plowing my ground for the first time. It was rocky, clay soil, and hard as brick with the drought we have had this summer. I am a reasonably strong 180 lb. man, and I had to fight with it and mandhandle it, not to mention curse at it now and then, to try to keep it going straight, and even then it still went its own crooked way sometimes. Seems like it just had bit of an ornery streak 'cause I made it work so hard.

However, it does work well for primary tillage. I tried the Rototiller first, and it was really slow going and just wouldn't go deep enough, even with a couple of passes. The rototiller works great on previously tilled ground, but not so good on hard, rocky, untilled ground. The Berta plowed really deep on the first pass, for the most part, unless it hit a big rock.

Speaking of rocks, the Berta threw out some rocks the size of a small cantaloupe, and many, many smaller ones as well. I carted away many 5-gal. buckets of rocks from a 30' x 60' area I was plowing.