electronic ignition for the Gracvely L's

/ electronic ignition for the Gracvely L's #1  

stugguls

Hi,

I am running 5 Gravely L's and probably like most of those that use these machines get a little hot when they don't start and have to ditz with the points.As you know there is no rhyme of reason to their tempermentalness.

I have modified the mag mountings some so they can be changed as fast as a sparkplug and always keep good hot mag spares with me. Still it's frustrating to pull the rope and nothing when just 2 minutes ago all was well. Megafire and Nova make a universal module that will fit the wico and fm mag. I have tried both on three different magz and they worked for a short time then the spark gradually decreased to the point the engines would not start again, back to the points. Some say these work fine, but you couldn't prove it by me. My coils test fine so that is not the problem?

The problem with the points is that the quality is poor and they just don't last for beans. The points in my Honda tiller seem to have some silver component and only need cleaning every several years. I have never changed the points in that tiller and it is 20 years old but does not see a lot of use since the Gravely's came into the picture, poor thing.

I am wondering if anyone has actually had success with the electronics in the Wico and if anyone has found a point supplier that actually a good set of points like they used to me made?

Thanks for your time,

John Burrows