Gravely L parts

/ Gravely L parts #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
anyone have a decent source for some gravely parts.

I have acumulated about 6 L/LI tractors now. The one that i have been useng (ie electric start that runs) i thought was realy loud, but thats always been my experience with L's After doing some routine maintenance i noticed the exaust port was boken and hanging off.

no wonder it was LOUD.

so after checking all my other L's not a single one has a decent exaust port to use. 2 have already been robbed, a third one is cracked but not broken, the 1 is on my only LI which i want to get running and is complete so i dont want to tear into it. and the last is the other electric start that just needs some points work. (again not a parts machine)

I think ive heard about guys fabing them out of welded tube and flat stock as the cast pieces are known for failure....

suggestions?

/ Gravely L parts #3  
PaulChristenson posted a link to a thread which contained a link which doesn't work now. This links directly to that same web site: Critchlow Enterprises
Click on the "Parts Finder" link on the left. I gave up trying to figure out which of the Gravely 2-wheel tractors they listed was the Model L. Maybe you'll be more persistent.

Try this, too: Gravelyparts.com Click on the "Parts Guide" link on the left. The web page isn't the greatest, but it's probably ok if you have broadband. I've actually been to that guy's shop to buy a part. He really knows his stuff, and he specializes in the older models. On the web page he doesn't list that exhaust "manifold" separately, but I'll bet he has them. In 1999 he sold it separately for $24 (I have an old catalog from him in PDF form). I'm guessing it's at least $36 now.

You have to call to order, so while you're on the phone, it won't hurt to ask if they has a used one. He voluntarily tried to find a used part for the part I needed.

Finally, if you have both parts of the broken one, a guy with an oxy/acetylene torch could braze the cast iron parts back together, and it would be plenty strong. Those things break when you side-swipe a tree with the muffler, not from normal use.

I think ive heard about guys fabing them out of welded tube and flat stock as the cast pieces are known for failure....
Suppose you side swiped a tree and this fabricated part didn't break. I'd be a little worried that it would strip the threads out of the cylinder head where the bolts hold it on.

/ Gravely L parts
ya i have an OA setup and some brazeing rod, but am not the most learned brazer.... figured i could give it a shot though....

anyone have one on a parts L they are willing to sell?

/ Gravely L parts
worked on the new parts L some today.... the rotary tiller was froze up so, having never taken one apart i decided to dive in.

can you get rebuild kits for the thing? the bearings are rusted up and seals shot, but if i could get those parts, i could get it in useable shape again.

/ Gravely L parts #6  
schmism,

If you attempt to braze the broken exhaust "manifold", first grind a taper along the broken edge of each part leaving just enough of the original cracked surface to mate them together properly. Then prop or clamp the parts against each other, heat them to cherry red (as seen through your goggles), and apply the flux-coated brazing rod to the V-groove where the parts meet.

As for repairing the rotary tiller, just call that shop I mentioned in my previous post (Richard's Lawn & Garden) and ask them if they have the seals and bearings you're looking for: 800-827-4551 Toll-free

In 1999 they listed these parts (note that the prices are out of date):

ROTARY CULTIVATOR 'Tiller'
Seals (takes 2 - dual lip) .............................$9.50 ea.
Bearings - old style (takes 2 on bottom - 1 on top) $12.00 ea.
End Cap Casting and Snap Ring................$48.00
Bottom Gear Casing............$165.00Top Casting..........................$119.00
Dirt Shield (center)..................$46.00Rubber Seal (hex shape)...........$1.75
Tiller Bearings (chain drive)$39.00 ea.Chain (new style tiller) ..............$19.00
(set of 8 - chain drive) ....$112.00
Tines.$15.00 ea. / $165.00 set of 12Tines
OTHER PARTS IN STOCK TILLERS REBUILT

Their current website doesn't list all of this information, but I'll bet you can still buy the individual parts.

Here's another avenue: I've gone to a local Applied Industrial Technologies outlet and gotten bearings and seals. I just take the old ones in and they match them up. There's an outlet 24 miles from you in Granite City, and there's one in Saint Louis, too. Their prices aren't cheap, but they're in line or a little lower than what you'd pay a dealer for the part.

/ Gravely L parts #9  
:cool2:I am a Gravely WB hobbyist collecting & refurbishing the older L models. The best thing I can suggest is to buy one on eBay/dealer/or find a Gravely graveyard, which I have found several, Even among a dealer's backyard of old machines, take PB blaster and wrenches and take what you want to the counter and barter the day lights out of them...

Tom

/ Gravely L parts #10  
Are there Gravely graveyards in Indiana?