BCS Attachments

/ BCS Attachments #1  

mn_voyageur

Tractor
BCS 853
I have decided to purchase a BCS 853 with a Rotary Plow, tiller, and root digger.

The original plan was to move the squash, zucchini, cukes to a bigger garden and add watermelon and potatoes. I had no intentions of making actual ROWS.

Now, my lovely wife has decided that she would like to grow some corn, collards, peas, and string beans.

So, how do you guys make your rows?

Mark

/ BCS Attachments #2  
Hi! For rows I use Home made Marker(ajustable). I pull it by hand. Very fast and easy.
At spring I use my Grillo 107d with My special tool For make small hills about 3 in. high I till 2-3 in deep make hill and row in one operation. I run one wheel in marker row.
I make tests small hills give a better germination for beans.
I make one hand seeder I put seeds usually two ( Beans corns peas etc ) in tube and seeds drop in good place 6 in. distant Save your back I like it.
Between rows ( 32 in.) I till 1-2 in. deep for weeds.
Good gardening . Oldmech

Attachments

• pict0059m.JPG
    pict0059m.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 890
  • vbarx.jpg
    vbarx.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 2,749
  • pict0061m.JPG
    pict0061m.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 761
   / BCS Attachments
Oldmech

I have read of your abilities in other posts.

Do you have any ideas of how I could hill after planting? My grandfather used to plant his rows and then, after a few weeks, spread compost and re-hill the row. This added fertilizer to the soil and re-built the row.

Mark

/ BCS Attachments #4  
How long are your rows going to be? If they are not too long you might have the row hilled by hand in the time it takes to get a hiller out and attached to your BCS.

Earthtools sells a hiller/furrower for the BCS:
furrower.jpg

But if you are handy with metalworking you can make one.

Here is one a guy made for a 3 point hitch:
attachment.php

Also if you're planting many long rows I can't recommend the Earthway seeder (~$100) enough.

/ BCS Attachments
I planned on looking into the Earthway seeder. I saw one @ Agri-Supply and was wondering how well they worked.

As for row length, that is to be determined. I expect that my wife will expand the garden as I complete the ground breaking. I could easily have 400-500 foot rows, but I doubt that will happen this year.

I was thinking about modifying a set of discs, similar to your picture. Basically, mulch and till between the rows and then straddle the row with the BCS and pull the dirt to the center. Or would it be better to run between the rows and push the dirt to both sides?

If anyone has any other ideas ...

Thanks,
Mark

/ BCS Attachments #6  
It has been done both ways. I have a Troy bilt tiller with a furrower attachment that pushes the dirt outwards. Oldmech's setup to pull it inwards and the disk setup to pull dirt inwards are both neat setups, too.

It would seem to me that if you have rows with odd spacing or have rows that need to be wide apart, then the setups that pull the dirt inwards would be easier since there is no readjustment to be made for distance between the rows.

/ BCS Attachments #7  
Hey Mark,

Congrats on the 853! Did you get the Diesel or Gasoline engine?

The Earthway seeder marks the next row as you plant the first. It's a good enough unit, but I don't have much luck using it for small amounts of seed. It seems I can't just toss in a packet and go. I need to toss in two packets and go or it won't pick up the seeds consistently. It needs so much in the hopper to prime it. Also, as I use it, I need to tilt it to the right to put the plate at an angle. I often wonder why Earthway doesn't modify the seeders to tilt the plate to run at an angle of 15 degrees or so. As I plant, I listen and and watch for the clinks as the seeder goes down the row. If I don't have just the right size seed for the plate, I'll get lots of doubles(too small seed, too big plate) or lots of skips (too big seed, too small plate).

All the being said, it really speeds up planting, even with the quirks. I use it every year and wouldn't give it up. Powdered graphite in with the seed seems to help as far as keeping it turning smoothly.

/ BCS Attachments
I chose the Lombardini (sp?) diesel with the larger tires.

I spoke with my father-in-law and then discussed it with Joel. Everyone agreed that the diesel would be a good choice.

Hopefully in a week or two, I'll post a video. (If I don't embarrass myself too much.)

2manyrocks - I had not thought about having to reset the widths. Sounds like I may have to follow in Oldmech's footsteps.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to learning more.

Mark

/ BCS Attachments #9  
Hi! Voyageur. If you make a lot of potatoes. May be a Bed chaper DOUBLE RIDGER (ajustable) implemnt. When plants 2 in.high After a good tillage 3 in. You adjust double ridger for cover potatoes row. at least 2 in over leafs. You drive in center or over row . Later you can reverse the double ridger for go between rows. This implement can save a lot of hard work. I would like to have one. Good gardening Everybody! Oldmech

/ BCS Attachments #10  
Hi! For rows I use Home made Marker(ajustable). I pull it by hand. Very fast and easy.
At spring I use my Grillo 107d with My special tool For make small hills about 3 in. high I till 2-3 in deep make hill and row in one operation. I run one wheel in marker row.
I make tests small hills give a better germination for beans.
I make one hand seeder I put seeds usually two ( Beans corns peas etc ) in tube and seeds drop in good place 6 in. distant Save your back I like it.
Between rows ( 32 in.) I till 1-2 in. deep for weeds.
Good gardening . Oldmech
hey oldmech looking for feedback on 107