Gravely 14-G Transmission problem

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem
There is definitely something broken in the tranny. The linkage for 1st/3rd just slides back and forth effortlessly. It does not go into those gears. 2nd/4th works fine. I'm assuming that a "shift fork" (or "weldment" as they call them in the service manual) has broken or stripped on the shaft.

The guy is still wanting $2000 (new motor) even though the tranny has an issue. I plan on tearing into it this weekend to see whats wrong. I can hardly wait :(

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem
For those who may have been following along:

I disassembled the tranny. Sure enough, a roll pin in the sliding shaft had broken and fallen out. Put in a new roll pin, put everything back together, and it's like a new tractor. For those who own these tractors, don't be afraid to rebuild the motor or open up the tranny. It was time consuming, and there are a few tricks but overall it was a worthwhile process.
The hardest part was getting the governor and throttle linkage set correctly to achieve the proper idle, proper high speed, and governor sensitivity. Thank God for digital tachometers.....best $100 I ever spent.

The guy was willing to sell it for $1700, but I passed. It's in great shape, new motor, solid tranny, but I still have trouble shelling out $1700 for a 16year old tractor (with mower and snow blade). Anyone think I'm crazy for passing?

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #13  
I've got a couple of nonrunning Gravely walk behinds you can fix for me, and I'll sell them both to you for $1,700. :D

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #14  
As you probably know by my past comments on this guy's asking price, I don't think you're crazy at all for passing. Rather, I think reality will set in when he tries to sell it for that, and you may very well get a second chance offer that makes it a good buy. He really should offer it to you for a decent price after all that work you did (not knowing if he paid you for that of course).