Gravely 14-G Transmission problem

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #1  

Bl8tant

Bronze Member
Tractor
Satoh S-650G
I'm working on a friends Gravely 14-G Rider. I rebuilt the motor with no problems. The next step is the transmission. I'm hoping someone with experience with these can give me some suggestions before I open her up. The service manual is rather skimpy in the troubleshooting section.

The problem:
You can shift freely between 2nd and 4th. However, if you move the lever to neutral and use 1st or 3rd, it is nearly impossible to get it back over to use 2nd and 4th. It takes lots of rocking the tractor, and fidgeting with the lever.

Anyone ever have this issue? What turned out to be the problem?

Also, once fixed what would this machine be worth. It has been well cared for and has a fresh motor (0 hours).

Thanks.

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #2  
The shift linkage above the transmission on these tractors isn't the best. Of the two new Gravely's I have owned the shift through the neutral gate between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th seems where it wants to hang up. The transmission itself on these tractors seem to be pretty much bullet proof. Spend a little time looking at the linkage before tearing in to the transmission.

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem
I agree about the linkage....it's an unusual setup to say the least.

Since you are familiar with the setup, maybe you can help me some more:

When you shift between 2nd and 4th, there is a fair amount of resistance felt in the lever. As you know, while the lever is over on the 2nd/4th side you can then reach down and move the linkage for 1st/3rd. On this tractor, the linkage for 1st/2nd can be moved pretty easily by hand (very little resistance). Is that normal? I apologize if my description is hard to follow. I'm starting to think something may be sheared inside. I don't have the motor re-installed yet to see if the tractor is actually going into 1st/3rd. My description of the shifting problem is based on my friends recollection. He has used it with just 2nd/4th for years because he was afraid it might get "stuck" for good. I'm considering buying the tractor, and if I do, I want all 4 gears:)

Thanks Again.

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #4  

When you shift between 2nd and 4th, there is a fair amount of resistance felt in the lever. As you know, while the lever is over on the 2nd/4th side you can then reach down and move the linkage for 1st/3rd. On this tractor, the linkage for 1st/2nd can be moved pretty easily by hand (very little resistance). Is that normal? I apologize if my description is hard to follow. I'm starting to think something may be sheared inside. I don't have the motor re-installed yet to see if the tractor is actually going into 1st/3rd. My description of the shifting problem is based on my friends recollection. He has used it with just 2nd/4th for years because he was afraid it might get "stuck" for good. I'm considering buying the tractor, and if I do, I want all 4 gears:)

Thanks Again.

Forgive me. I am a bit lost here. On the 14-G isn't 1st/2nd on the left side and 3rd/4th on the right side? When you say the lever is over on the 2nd/4th side I am not understanding. It should be 1st/2nd on the left side and 3rd/4th on the right side.

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #5  

Thanks Again.

Sorry, I was wrong. I had second thoughts and walked out to the barn with a flashlight to check. It is 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th. 1st/ 2nd has always been an easy shift. That's really the only two gears I have ever used. I have tried shifting in to 3rd and 4th and it is a real pain. Even when these tractors were new. The linkage is the problem. Take the linkage loose and try to shift by hand on top of the transmission. That's pretty easy to do. Of all on a Gravely tractor they spared no expense on the transmission. I doubt that this is your problem.

Sorry, I know that description was confusing. Let's just use Right side gears and Left side gears as I don't recall the actual numbering?

The left side gear linkage just glides back and forth easily (almost like it's not moving anything inside the tranny). The right side linkage has nice clean "detents" and offers some resistance. You can actually hear stuff moving inside the tranny when you actuate the right side linkage, but nothing on the left side linkage. I'm definitely thinking something is broken. I really wish I had the motor on it so I could see if the left side gears actually work.

I hope that's a little less confusing :)

Great minds must think alike. I was typing as you were posting!

Thanks for going out to check.....espescially at 11:30pm!

Once I get the motor back on I need to try running it through all the gears. Maybe my friend just got things out of sync (I noticed that either linkage can be moved regardless of the position of the other).

Any idea what these things are worth? Nice tractors even after 15 years!

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #8  
You have to make sure when you move the 1 & 3 up and down
that they are in netural and you can move the shift back and forth accross
to the other side.
Same way when you are in netural that you can move the shift back and forth accross .
I hope this makes sence
If on side is not in netural then the other side don't work well

/ Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #9  
Here is a pic of a 8000 linkage

Attachments

• DSC08126  Gravely shift levers.JPG
    DSC08126 Gravely shift levers.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 824
  • DSC05679.JPG
    DSC05679.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 728
   / Gravely 14-G Transmission problem #10  
These Gravely's are great lawn tractors. Mine is 16 HP and weighs 1200#. It's heavy duty for sure. Dependable and very easy to do repair work on it. And of course it is not made anymore. I am sure there is something made in China that replaced it that costs $19.99. Americans do love a bargain.