Honda Motor Shaft Question

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question #1  

wstr75

Gold Member
I bought this GX390 (13 hp) Honda motor today. It was on a pressure washer. My plan is to put it on my BCS 737 tractor. Question: The shaft is almost 6" long and it looks to me like it has a shaft extension. Before I do the gear puller/hammer/other action step, I'm showing this picture to the excellent folks on this forum to get their thoughts/suggestions. Anybody seen something like this before and what is your advice for taking it off?
Thanks in advance.
Bill in NC

Attachments

• GX390 Output Shaft.jpg
    GX390 Output Shaft.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,359
   / Honda Motor Shaft Question #2  
I bought this GX390 (13 hp) Honda motor today. It was on a pressure washer. My plan is to put it on my BCS 737 tractor. Question: The shaft is almost 6" long and it looks to me like it has a shaft extension. Before I do the gear puller/hammer/other action step, I'm showing this picture to the excellent folks on this forum to get their thoughts/suggestions. Anybody seen something like this before and what is your advice for taking it off?
Thanks in advance.
Bill in NC

Is this a press fit, or is there a bolt holding the extension on, or both. I would used CO2 to cool/freeze the shaft and tap the extension off.

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question
It looks like a press fit. If there is a screw in there, it is way up in there and small. Say, I know old fashioned fire extinguishers discharge CO2 and back in the 1970s we quick cooled some beer with a CO 2 fire extinguisher, but where does one get the CO2 tool chilling stuff you use? Is there handy dandy kit sold at auto shops? I did some Googling and came up blank.

My plan is to empty the gas tank, take the motor outside and to carefully heat up the extension so as to break the rust grip. Your CO2 idea would be safer, but I don't know where to get the stuff.
Bill in NC

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question #4  
A lot of welding supply places will carry CO2. Dry ice may be a cheaper, easier alternative thats also available at most welding supply.

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question #5  
You may already know this, but if your old BCS has an ACME engine, according to EarthTools, you need an adapter. If replacing an ACME engine on an older BCS machine, part # 922.99007 (conversion flange & clutch kit) is required. The Honda will be a good choice and should run forever.

Milkman, you are correct. It will need an adaptor and a clutch, too. I'm in a small town on Easter weekend and there ain't no welding supply places nearby or open. Looks like it is Dremel tool time. Don't want to risk it with my angle grinder as it would hurt my feelings real bad if it got into the Honda's shaft and boogered it up. I did get the new quick disconnect set-up today for my ancient Dremel, so as I go through numerous of those itty bitty cutting disks, at least it won't take quite as long.

Guys, thanks for the help.
Bill in NC

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question #7  
Hi! First You must know the Honda Model Gx 390 and QA2 is straight Shaft This model can take BCS clutch. If you have Gx 390 KVCn2 this model has 4 11/32 taper shaft you cannot install BCS clutch. Generator High pressure pumps have often taper shaft crankshaft. You can may be change crankshaft. Good luck Oldmech

Oldmech, it has a straight shaft. I am glad you mentioned the differences because I have always thought to myself that someone should develop an adaptor for making a generator shaft (tapered) OR a european tapered shaft (shorter shaft) fit to a straight shaft application.

Seems like someone would be selling those adaptors but I have searched the Internet to no avail. Oldmech, do you think a machined adapter could be made for making a generator tapered shaft to fit a straight shaft application like a BCS clutch? Is the problem not having enough metal thickness where the shafts fit together? I think there is a business opportunity for specialty adapters for small engines.

Bill in NC

Oldmech, you must have spotted the problem in the picture. I took the adaptor off today and underneath was a tapered shaft!

The motor sure starts easy and runs real sweet, but cannot use it on my BCS so it will have to go to a new home where it can work on a generator or some other tapered shaft coupled device.

Thanks for help everyone.
Bill in NC

/ Honda Motor Shaft Question #10  
Bill,

I don't know if you're still considering using this engine but give Joel a call. Some of the newer BCS setups are using an engine w/ a tapered shaft, in fact the newer conversion kits include a clutch to fit a tapered shaft and a tapered sleeve that fits w/ a bolt, 3/8-24 as I (maybe imperfectly) recall.

Rob (from the BCS Yahoo group)