BCS tiller help please!

/ BCS tiller help please! #1  

shot_gun

Gold Member
Ok I got my 715 running today. A big thanks to Joel and his patience(earth tools) for getting the right parts the first time! Any way having no bcs experience I need to lean on you guys for some advice. The wheels just dig holes where the ground has already been tilled. If I lift up alittle on the handle bars it will pull itself along but as soon as I let go it starts digging holes again. I don't have to tell you this is very annoying. I thought may be some weight on the front end might solve the problem. Conditions: tilled sany loam soil, I tried lowering the tire pressure to 5 psi and it didn't change anything, also tilling in 1st gear. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

/ BCS tiller help please! #2  
Hi! I think your soil is too wet or soft. For till NOW. A tiller work very bad in mud. If tires makes deep trace Soil is too wet. Good drain is a NEED and the best investment. If you have too much water in your soil you have no air. Plant do not grow. Good Gardening and Good luck! Oldmech

/ BCS tiller help please! #3  
Hey! Congratulations on getting your little beast running!

Wheel-weights would probably do the trick, but I've also heard of people dualling up their wheels for more traction and flotation. But it sounds to me like the fine, fluffy tilth of your soil is what's causing loss of traction. Your sandy-loam soil has a relatively delicate structure--if it's already been tilled, why pulverize it by going over it again? Over-tilling can result in many serious soil problems, not least of which are compaction and erosion. Learn to tolerate some clods and some trash, your soil will be healthier for it.

/ BCS tiller help please! #4  
Oops,

Sorry, but when I re-read my last reply, it sounds like a grade-school teacher scolding a student! Not my intention. I just wanted to give you my humble opinion and advice, nothing more.

/ BCS tiller help please! #5  
Hey Shotgun,

I agree with Udder's comments. Why are you tilling ground that's already tilled? I really only till my garden twice a year - once in the fall to seed a cover crop and once in the spring to incorporate the cover crop and plant. I had a 715 before I got my 850 and 730. I never had any trouble with lack of traction as far as tilling goes.

Joel sells weight brackets that accept one inch cast iron plate weights. You could buy a set of those if you want to get some traction. You could also size-up on the tires. If you trade out the stock 4.00-8 tires and buy some 5-10 tires, it would help. You'd need to buy a PTO extension as well. Of course, by the time you spend the money for the tires and extension, you may as well trade-up to a 735/737/605/830/850/852/853. I traded up to the 850 because I was asking too much of the 715.

On a side note about your signature, I complain about too much HP. The straight truck we just got at my place of work has a 450 horse engine in it. The front actually bounces when you hit the accelerator. You can watch the fuel gauge go down as you drive. Next time it's in the shop for the DOT, I'm gonna tell 'em to turn down the pump. It also sets my teeth on edge when I see a too-big tractor on farm equipment as I drive around. Too much HP=too much fuel wasted for a given task. (Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything, but couldn't resist)

/ BCS tiller help please!
Thanks for the advice. The ground was pretty dry so mud wasn't an issue. I was only in tilled ground(chisel plowed) to try it out and see if I could level it out a little. My tiller tines look like pretty worn out so I'm thinking of replacing them. What do you guys think about 2 35# suitcase weights on the front? I know I'm asking a lot of the tiller but so far it's the best $100.00 I've spent.

FBB... I stand corrected.. I'll have to edit my signature to put ..but FBB...:)

Udder no need to appologize. It's all takin in context. I appreciate any feedback I can get.

/ BCS tiller help please! #7  
Hey Shotgun,

Worn tines could be your entire problem. The tines are worn out when the ends are pointy. I replaced the tines on a 20 inch tiller box last week. The tines were so pointy, I pricked a finger on one.

Two 35 lb weights out the front will be hated very fast. If you put weight out there, you're gonna be fighting to keep the tiller in the ground. If you want traction on a two wheel machine, you need to put the weight at the wheels. Joel's weight brackets and some plate weights is the most effective, least expensive way to go. If you're handy with a welder, you could whip up your own pretty fast. It's essentially a piece of flat steel with 5 holes drilled in it and a 1 inch piece of solid round stock welded into the center hole.

02-28-09_1341.jpg

Bill

FBB thanks. I thought they might be a problem. If you bend a steak knife at 90 degrees thats kind of what they look like. They have 20 years of tilling on them. I had som old ford compact suitcase weights laying around and I thought they were blue and I could hang them on the front. I see your point. I do have a welder/s and all kinds of tools to get me in trouble but I think I'm going to start first by getting new tines and go from there. Thanks for all the help.

Just an update... New tiller tines solved the problem. No weights needed. Now I want more HP. Hmmm maybe v-twin kawasaki?.... Thanks to all who replied.