Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8 #1  

natjwest

I found a local BCS 730 with a 20" tiller box and a Kohler Magnum 8HP engine, and I'm wondering what I should look out for on the tiller and what I need to check before I buy it.

It's coming from a lawnmower shop, and has been used as a rental for a number of years so that's a mixed bag. Rental = high hours. Shop = taken care of, maybe.

It was sitting for a week, and I pulled it out and it started up after two pulls, so that was encouraging. It backfired a bit while warming up, but idled very smoothly at low and high throttle.

I felt around the engine to tranny area and felt nor saw any oil leaks.

The tines are quite sharp, so I know I'll need a new set.

What else am I missing? They're asking $800.

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8 #2  
Hey,

That Kohler Magnum engine is a great engine. It's not the most fuel efficient, but it is about bulletproof with regular maintenance. That 730 could handle a 26 inch tiller if you wanted, but the extra 6 inches won't be worth the cost of expanding your tiller box. Sharp tines do mean they need to be replaced at $86 through Joel at Earth Tools.

When you get it home, change all the fluids, especially the tiller gearbox. You might be shocked at how little oil is in there. I always am. Also, take the tiller tine assembly completely apart. The tine set closest has covers to prevent damage to the seals. The renters have probably wrapped up wire, plastic twine, telephone poles, small woodland creatures, etc in them. I've had two tiller boxes that needed those covers welded back on because the stuff had wrapped in so tight that they had been popped off. If the tiller box is completely empty of oil, the seals mighta went bad a while ago and any evidence of a leak may have been erased in use. The seals are cheap, as are the bearings (don't waste 60 bucks for the throw-out bearing. buy two 6205s), but taking it apart and putting it back together is tricky. If you have a couple weeks to let it sit with oil in it, don't put the tine assemblies back on and leave the full gearbox sitting on a paper towel in the bench. Oil will leak out past the seals in a relatively short time if they're bad. Not putting the tine assemblies back on will save you the time it takes to take them back off to tear the gearbox apart.

I'd say 800 is fair. You can always make an offer. All's they can say is "no", right?

Bill

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8 #3  
Hey,

If the tiller box is completely empty of oil, the seals mighta went bad a while ago and any evidence of a leak may have been erased in use. The seals are cheap, as are the bearings (don't waste 60 bucks for the throw-out bearing. buy two 6205s), but taking it apart and putting it back together is tricky.

Bill

Sorry to side track this a little, but the tricky part caught my eye since I plan on receiving the seals for mine tomorrow. From just looking at the parts CD it looks easy, is there some surprise not illustrated?

Thanks
Cory

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8 #4  
Hey Clytle,

That throwout bearing will come apart when you try to remove it. I've had it come out no problem on one gearbox. The other times, it came apart. I then had to take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and grind a groove into the outer race in order to drive it out with a chisel.

You can get a 6205 bearing anywhere. I've got them at a Case New Holland Dealership, Motion Industries, and an online dealer at different times. Take the old one in or take the dimensions - M25X52X15

Bill

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8 #5  
Hey Clytle,

That throwout bearing will come apart when you try to remove it. I've had it come out no problem on one gearbox. The other times, it came apart. I then had to take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and grind a groove into the outer race in order to drive it out with a chisel.

You can get a 6205 bearing anywhere. I've got them at a Case New Holland Dealership, Motion Industries, and an online dealer at different times. Take the old one in or take the dimensions - M25X52X15

Bill

Thanks. I got busy one more pressing projects, hope to get to it this weekend.

/ Ready to buy a used BCS 730 with Kohler Magnum 8
Thanks much farmerboybill, I really appreciate the reply. I'm going to buy it on Monday.