Sickle Mower

/ Sickle Mower #1  

Believer

Silver Member
I'm looking for a walk behind sickle for mowing around creeks and woods. Do some tractors have powered reverse?

/ Sickle Mower #3  
Old gravely's had reverse on them if you can find a sickle mower attachment. But the gravelys are so heavy that they can get away from you on a steep bank if you're not really careful.

People have gotten away from sickle units because of having to maintain the cutters and because of the vibration. Plus they lay the material down instead of chopping it up like a brush mower.

One thing you should add to your list is how much traction the unit will have. I think bigger tires and more traction is good to have.

If you don't have a lot of material to cut, a weed trimmer equipped with a metal brush blade works well on creek banks. Very light, cheap, manuverable.

/ Sickle Mower #4  
gravley has both power reverse and sickle bar although the sickles are rare these days. ive been looking for one for years and have yet to find one.

they make a dual wheel spacer option that allows you to run duals on the machine. in that configuration if you can walk on the slope the gravely is stable on it and will have plenty of traction to get the job done.

/ Sickle Mower #5  
Troy Bilt made a sickle bar mower several years ago, I have two of them that I use occasionally. They are good machines that do a good job

/ Sickle Mower #6  
gravley has both power reverse and sickle bar although the sickles are rare these days. ive been looking for one for years and have yet to find one.

they make a dual wheel spacer option that allows you to run duals on the machine. in that configuration if you can walk on the slope the gravely is stable on it and will have plenty of traction to get the job done.

Where have you been looking? They are still fairly easy to find. And yes, I have one. But only for display. The 30" or Comm 40" is much better at cleaning up. A Kohler powered 8 HP is the lightest unit and with duals and chains, can go over wet areas where a person walking sinks in.

/ Sickle Mower #7  
Here's what the BIG Gravely sickle is like. This is the 60" model. They also made a smaller one, 48" I think.

Attachments

• gravely with sickle web.JPG
    gravely with sickle web.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 3,010
   / Sickle Mower #8  
Here's what the BIG Gravely sickle is like. This is the 60" model. They also made a smaller one, 48" I think.
24", 30" 36", 42", 48", and 60" models were made. The 24" one isn't really practical for an L or later and should only be run on a D. 30" and up is fine on an L or later models and matches the 30" rotary. With duals you are better off with the 42" or bigger as you won't be running over what you need to cut on the next pass.

/ Sickle Mower #9  

I Have 2 sickle mowers for a gravely 36 inch wide 1 has the big sickles and the other one has the smaller sickles