Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #1  

farmerboybill

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel
Hey all,

I just posted a video of me digging potatoes with my trusty rusty BCS 730 on Youtube.com. You can read my long-winded description of the machine and how it did on the video description.

The first pic shows the potatoes that weren't reburied, the second shows all of them from one row. The third pic shows the machine from the drivers seat. The fourth shows a view from the side. Big tires for a 730, eh?

YouTube - BCS 730 with 8 HP Kohler Magnum pulling a Mainline potato plow

Bill in WI

Attachments

• 100_1294.JPG
    100_1294.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 100_1298.JPG
    100_1298.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_1250.JPG
    100_1250.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,743
  • 100_1249.JPG
    100_1249.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,864
   / Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #3  
Nice Spuds.

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #4  
Aaahh Beauty !!! Machine,..AND..Spuds,.....very nice indeed!!

CHEERS!
. . tug

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #6  
Now you've got me searching Craigslist daily for an upgrade to our 715, since it will barely pull the hiller/furrower.

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #7  
Hi! Farmerboybill I am curious. What the tires and wheels size. Congratulation ! Your potatoes look very good. Here we had too much rain this year. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger
Thanks to all the well-wishers! I'm hoping to make more videos of my BCS stuff since there seems to be few relating to them.

Hey Oldmech,

They are 6-12 tires mounted on 4 bolt trailer rims. I had a local welding shop make the adapter/extensions. The trailer rim's bolt pattern is just a skosh too big to mount directly to BCS machines. Since I was having them made up, I also had the 1 inch round stock welded on to hang weight. I can put about 100 lbs per side. Sure enough, i found a pair of 5-12 tires almost immediately after I had 'em made up. How's the 735 Diesel been treating you?

Hey Clytle,

I'll bet your 715 has every bit as much oomph as my 730. They're essentially the same machine. My 730 has an 8 Horse Kohler Magnum, the same as the 715 I used to have. The only thing better about the 730 is instant reverse and an actual shift pattern. You just need bigger tires and weight at the wheels.

Bill in WI

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #9  
Hi ! The 735 is my work horse. The ACME diesel is a fine engine take less one liter hour. At first in spring often the engine was stopped after 15 min. I change fuel filter ( I think this one was never changed because the blue paint on)Now no more trouble . Also I fit the Mainline mower with home made adapter All run very good. Thanks you again and Good Luck! Oldmech

/ Digging potatoes with a BCS 730 and root digger #10  
The 715 would proably do it okay with the bigger tires and lots of weight. Ours is used in hilly areas an I'm afraid I wouldn't turn it after adding the weight and tires, or would loose control with the free wheel devices.

I need faster speeds in front PTO mode, easier reversing, and individual brakes on the hills.

Cory