BCS 735 Transmission ???

/ BCS 735 Transmission ??? #1  

pangavamanos

Tractor
BCS 735
Hey Guys,

New here. Hope someone can help.

I bought a used 735 and am still trying to work out the kinks. i.e. learn how to use the thing efficiently. I got it used and it came from a guy that got it from a rental yard. I have no operating instructions.

I understand that it can move in 1st or 2nd gear (maybe) with the tines spinning at half speed 10:1 rather than 20:1. My sticker's on the shifter area are not very legible...

Can anyone help me put the levers in the right position.
I tilled wood chips into an area several weeks ago (20:1). It rained yesterday... I want to "turn" the soil/chips to add some air to hasten the decomposition (10:1). Not whip up the soil again.
Hope this all makes sense... Can anyone help?

Jim L.

/ BCS 735 Transmission ??? #2  
Hi Jim,

The tiller tines always run at the same speed - 290 RPM. When they say "10 to 1", they're talking 10 tine revolutions per one wheel revolution in second gear. "20 to 1" is 20 tine revolutions per one wheel revolution in 1st gear. If you put the main shifter into 2/4 and the secondary shifter into LO, you'll be running at 1.5 mph and "10 to 1". Your gears are as follows - 1st is .7mph; 2nd is 1.5mph; 3rd, 2.1mph; 4th, 4.0mph; and 5th, 7.5mph. 5th gear is for transport only. I usually run the engine at an idle and use 5th (or 4th on the 850) to move the tiller around the yard.

Hope this helps,

Bill in WI

/ BCS 735 Transmission ???
Thanks Bill!

That helps a bunch. I notice that when I have it in reverse the tines still spin. This concerns me as a safety issue. Is it possible to disengage them while in reverse? Again I have no manual to guide me. Also I'm unsure of exactly how to use the hi/low range option you speak of. The sticker/decals are all but un-readable. Makes for interesting experimentation though. My wife likes to sip on a beer and watch the show as I take off running toward the black berry's in 5th gear for instance. Feet kicking up dust all the way. Quite the show I'm sure.

Thanks for any more input,

Jim in CA

/ BCS 735 Transmission ??? #4  
Your 735 should have a reverse lock out that won't let the tractors shifter move into reverse while the tines are engaged. Maybe it is just out of adjustment or missing.

/ BCS 735 Transmission ??? #5  
Him Jim,

The second long lever engages and disengages the attachments. You can just pop it in and out with that. Many BCS machines have the reverse lockout disabled. The Hi/Lo is the short lever next to the big shifter.

It sounds like you should have a manual. John at the BCS shop sells a cdrom of the manuals. If you want a hard copy, any local dealer should be able to get one.

Bill in WI