Mounting tubless tires?

/ Mounting tubless tires? #11  
Well I did find my right side tire is leaking down dang it. It was properly mounted and is leaking from the rim. That rim was thoroughly cleaned. I wonder if there is a sealant for the rim/tire on the sides?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Check back with the friendly shop that mounted it and ask if they have a sealant they can apply. They may do it for free but a crisp 5 may be in order too.

/ Mounting tubless tires?
Jay,
Letting the air and out breaking the beads will be fairly simple (well the air is letting itself out). Have you used that EXTRA seal bead sealer in your link? If so what type of residue does it leave on the tire and rim if you need to remove the tire? Local parts stores have some Victor Sealsafe Tire Sealant that supposedly: "Permanently seals punctures. Seals bead- and rim leaks. Prevents and repairs flat tires safely. Good for almost all tires and sizes. Tire pressure sensor safe. Long-lasting." The XTRA Seal Bead Sealer states it is a black cement? The XTRA Seal is actually a bit cheaper and is also available locally. I used some of the Slime stuff a couple of years ago on another tubless tire that was leaking and it did not work and was difficult to remove from the tire to get it repaired.

Well I filled up the tire and put it in my wheelbarrow filled up with some water. Come to find out the air is leaking up through the center of the rim and not the bead where the tire seals. The air bubbles are coming up near one of the holes in the wheel where you bolt it to the axle. Yep right there and not anywhere else. This is a steel wheel and at that point it is two pieces as the wheel is welded together. This is the factory wheel that came with my 715. I guess I am at the point of breaking down the tire and try to see if I can tell where the bad spot inside the wheel is and repair that spot. Go figure. Well at least the tire to wheel was properly seated.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #14  
For the record, I have not actually used that particular brand of sealant, but it looks very similar to what I do use. Clean up at next tire change time is a breeze with it. "Slime" is a messy pain in the rear. Not so with the black bead sealer. It leaves a very thin, dry layer of rubbery material that doesn't really interfere with future tire repair/mounting at all. But I guess like you have a slightly different problem on your hands than you originally anticipated. You may be able to patch rim up with a little jb weld or some other sealer. You may have to take tire off rim to get a good look in there though.
-Jay

Jay
Yep I now have a different issue. I was already thinking JB Weld for the repair. I wish there was an easier solution than completely removing the tire. It does appear to be a small leak but it does leak down the tire in around an hour of so. As these are new tires the tire does not break away from the wheel even when deflated. I do have a large air compressor to refill. I was afraid the Slime products would be a pain in the rear to clean up. I was actually wondering if there was a product to put in the tire that would seal up the wheel where there is a leak simular to sealing a tire leak as this is on a 2 wheel tractor that will always be going at slow speeds.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #16  
Iron Horse
When I took the right side tire off I did not see safety beads on the rim. It was smooth on both sides.

The safety beads are usually only on car/truck rims , it was the only good photo of the "well" I was referring too . The "well" is used when removing the tyre/tire and when re-fitting . When removing , after breaking the beads , you push down the bead with your foot so the bead is level with the "well" . When you pry the other side of the bead with the tyre lever , the bead moves into the "well" which gives you the slack you need to get the other side of the bead over the rim lip . You do this with both beads so the tyre can be removed completely . Re-fitting is just a reversal of this same procedure . Just make sure the "well" is to the top or you will die of frustration .

/ Mounting tubless tires? #17  
It sounds like you really don't want to take the tire off the rim, and I don't blame you. You could try putting JB weld right where you saw the bubbles coming out in your wheelbarrow of water. I think this would not have a great chance of working, but it might. It wouldn't take much time, effort, or expense to try this either. Harbor freight sells a manual tire changer for $50 on sale. Not too many tires and you'll make your money back on it. By far, it is the best money I've ever spent. There is a learning curve with it though, and your first few tires on it will be a challenge. After you get good at using it though, you may grow to like it. I love playing with mine.
-Jay

Jay,
Yep I was trying not to remove the tire if I did not need to do so. Looks like I will need to remove it though to properly repair the rim. If it will just stop raining here long enough for me to get outside and do something. I have not seen many things at harbor freight that were worth purchasing but I will take a look at the manual tire changer. I have other tires that need fixing also. There is a small tire on my Land Pride mowing deck that routinely goes flat and I have to ratchet strap to fill each time I want to cut grass. I need to pull that one off also. I do not think putting the JB Weld where I saw the air bubbles coming out of the center of the rim would be worth a try. I will have to remove the tire. I am hopefull after watching the guy fix the tires I will be better at it the second time around.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #20  
You could possibly try putting 3m marine sealant on the spot where the leak is without taking the tire off. It is designed to cure under water so the fact you dunked your rim won't stop it from sealing.

Sounds like an excuse to buy the HF tire changer and then weld the rim.

Wonder how the old tire stayed up with this hole? Did it have a tube?