Mounting tubless tires?

/ Mounting tubless tires? #1  

Ezzrider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
I am about ready to give up and go to the tire place but here goes - I purchased 2 new 4.80 x 8 tubless tires for my BCS 715. The tires that were on there had dry rotted pretty bad and I knew they had to be replaced when I purchased the 715. I could not find anyone locally that carred the aggresive tractor tire tread on this size tire so I ordered two 4.80 x 8 Carlisle Power Trac Lug Tiller Tires. I got them late yesterday afternoon via UPS. I took the right side wheel off and the old tire came off without much difficulty. I do have 3 small pry bars which help. Now once I started to put the new tire on the rim the fun started. I used liquid diswash soap for lubricant but I could not get the new tire on the rim no matter how hard I tried. I do not want to mess up the rim or the new tire. Is this something I should just go to a tire place and pay for them to install or are there some tricks on installing tubless tires I need to know? I am fairly mechanically inclined but this is frustrating.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #2  
I am about ready to give up and go to the tire place but here goes - I purchased 2 new 4.80 x 8 tubless tires for my BCS 715. The tires that were on there had dry rotted pretty bad and I knew they had to be replaced when I purchased the 715. I could not find anyone locally that carred the aggresive tractor tire tread on this size tire so I ordered two 4.80 x 8 Carlisle Power Trac Lug Tiller Tires. I got them late yesterday afternoon via UPS. I took the right side wheel off and the old tire came off without much difficulty. I do have 3 small pry bars which help. Now once I started to put the new tire on the rim the fun started. I used liquid diswash soap for lubricant but I could not get the new tire on the rim no matter how hard I tried. I do not want to mess up the rim or the new tire. Is this something I should just go to a tire place and pay for them to install or are there some tricks on installing tubless tires I need to know? I am fairly mechanically inclined but this is frustrating.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The first step for a tire shop is to secure the wheel and that's what I would recommend. A long bolt or all thread through the hub and clamped in a vise often works. On small tires use narrow spoons and take little bites.

Liquid soap is usually our friend but I've found it should be applied to about the second half of the rim/tire circumference only. If applied to the first half where we're trying to get things started it can be detrimental by loosing what we've spooned on because of being too slippery. I even tried silicone once, what a disaster.

Tubeless are easier than tubed in the respect that we don't need worry about pinching the tube between the spoon and wheel.

Last edited:
   / Mounting tubless tires?
Thanks. I was actually smart on this one and took it to a tire shop that would do the smaller tires. I called 3 shops before I found one that said they could do it. I took it this afternoon and for $7.50 and in about 15 minutes the new tires were on my rims and I was on my way. I guess I finally did the simple thing. I watched the guy put on the tires. He had it secured on the machine but used small screw drivers and the liquid lubricant. Watching him do it seemed simple but then again that is his business and not mine.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #4  
Thanks. I was actually smart on this one and took it to a tire shop that would do the smaller tires. I called 3 shops before I found one that said they could do it. I took it this afternoon and for $7.50 and in about 15 minutes the new tires were on my rims and I was on my way. I guess I finally did the simple thing. I watched the guy put on the tires. He had it secured on the machine but used small screw drivers and the liquid lubricant. Watching him do it seemed simple but then again that is his business and not mine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Man OH Man you can't beat that price. And by having them mounted you didn't have the aggravation of getting the beads to seal when air was squirted.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #5  
Beats spending hours trying to mount the tires. I have one of the chinese built tire changer things for small tires-always a pain to mount these small tires on one piece rims.

This is where the old Gravely split rim and tube can't be beat for ease of tire changes without a lot of special tools.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #6  
You just have to make sure the rim is the right way up , ie "well" rolled in rim is too the top (whilst laying down) . You just make sure the tire bead is in the "well" and stays in the "well" , this gives the required slack needed to lever the other side of the bead over the rim lip .

/ Mounting tubless tires? #7  
Thank you for the tip.

Well I did find my right side tire is leaking down dang it. It was properly mounted and is leaking from the rim. That rim was thoroughly cleaned. I wonder if there is a sealant for the rim/tire on the sides?

Iron Horse
When I took the right side tire off I did not see safety beads on the rim. It was smooth on both sides.

/ Mounting tubless tires? #10  
Well I did find my right side tire is leaking down dang it. It was properly mounted and is leaking from the rim. That rim was thoroughly cleaned. I wonder if there is a sealant for the rim/tire on the sides?

Use bead sealer:
Amazon.com: XTRA Seal Bead Sealer: Automotive

Let air out. Break beads, but leave tire on rim. Slather bead sealer over the bead of tire, fill back up with air. This should be fairly painless, as you don't have to actually take the tire on or off the rim. You won't be "un-doing" the hard work the you paid the guy at the tire shop for. Good luck.
-Jay