Power wheel barrow

/ Power wheel barrow #11  
Cmyoung's point about having one engine do multiple tasks is the entire reason to own a BCS or Grillo. Once you're done with your purpose-built power hauler, it just sits. And sits. And sits some more. Gasoline powered ones are never drained of gas, so they need someone knowledgeable in carburetors to get them running the next time they're needed. Battery powered ones will not be charged when you need to use it in a hurry, or worse, it will run out of juice in a remote location and require dragging back to be charged.

For the $2100 minimum needed to buy a purpose-built model, you can find a good, used BCS model - usually with a tiller. Once you have the power unit, you can buy the attachments here and there. Get a snowblower -minus one seldom used engine. Get a chipper - minus one seldom used engine. Make or buy a barrow attachment - minus one seldom used engine. get a mower - minus one seldom used engine. All the sudden, you have one engine that does all your property work. You're never cussing the blower engine after 12 inches of snow drop and you didn't do the proper maintenance to make sure it ran. The chipper is always ready when the leaves fall. The tiller engine doesn't sit for 11 months and 29 days before it's needed again.

I like Cmyoung's very nice, very useful home-built power barrow over anything purpose-built.

/ Power wheel barrow #12  
Cmyoung's point about having one engine do multiple tasks is the entire reason to own a BCS or Grillo. Once you're done with your purpose-built power hauler, it just sits. And sits. And sits some more. Gasoline powered ones are never drained of gas, so they need someone knowledgeable in carburetors to get them running the next time they're needed. Battery powered ones will not be charged when you need to use it in a hurry, or worse, it will run out of juice in a remote location and require dragging back to be charged.

For the $2100 minimum needed to buy a purpose-built model, you can find a good, used BCS model - usually with a tiller. Once you have the power unit, you can buy the attachments here and there. Get a snowblower -minus one seldom used engine. Get a chipper - minus one seldom used engine. Make or buy a barrow attachment - minus one seldom used engine. get a mower - minus one seldom used engine. All the sudden, you have one engine that does all your property work. You're never cussing the blower engine after 12 inches of snow drop and you didn't do the proper maintenance to make sure it ran. The chipper is always ready when the leaves fall. The tiller engine doesn't sit for 11 months and 29 days before it's needed again.

I like Cmyoung's very nice, very useful home-built power barrow over anything purpose-built.

you both have very valid points, and I agree with them. You also need to consider however you are relying on that one motor for everything you do. It will wear out faster, and when it does you have nothing. Lets say bcs goes out of business tomorrow, in a few years it is going to be hard to find parts, so if the transmission goes out in that thing you now have to buy a snowblower, tiller, barrow, chipper, etc... There have been a number of 2-wheel tractor manufacturers over the years, and very few left. Also BCS is not common enough really to even find that many used parts. Also, what if you wanted to run the chipper and the barrow at the same time? There are advantages to both sides and they both need to be considered.

/ Power wheel barrow #13  
you both have very valid points, and I agree with them. You also need to consider however you are relying on that one motor for everything you do. It will wear out faster, and when it does you have nothing. - Your not left with nothing, you simply replace the engine.

Lets say bcs goes out of business tomorrow, in a few years it is going to be hard to find parts, so if the transmission goes out in that thing you now have to buy a snowblower, tiller, barrow, chipper, etc... - This is no different than any other product you purchase. Parts availabilty isn't just based on whether the manufacturer stays in bussines or not, but if they are willing to support a certain model or product. The mind set of some businesses today is don't fix it, by a new one. Also many parts such as bearings and seals are not product specific and are available through suppliers other than the manufacture which can extend the useable life indefinetly.

There have been a number of 2-wheel tractor manufacturers over the years, and very few left. - Unlike 4 wheel tractors?

Also BCS is not common enough really to even find that many used parts. - Not true, check craigslist. I find stuff there all the time. You would be suprised how much of this stuff is out there.

Also, what if you wanted to run the chipper and the barrow at the same time? - Good point, if time was a factor I would rent either a chipper or barrow unit to expedite the project

There are advantages to both sides and they both need to be considered. - Very true! Spend your money on what works for you and not neccesarily someone else

Sometimes I worry I will wear out before my BCS!

/ Power wheel barrow #14  
Sometimes I worry I will wear out before my BCS!

LOL, Mpapiary. Very true.

The most likely thing to fail on a BCS or Grillo is the engine. The engine can be swapped out with any one inch keyed shaft engine in about a half hour with a basic tool set. The rest of the machine can only be damaged by abuse or neglect. You'll NEVER wear out the transmission in this lifetime.

Second, BCS is the largest manufacturer of walk-behind tractors in Europe, maybe the world. Grillo is also a larger manufacturer. that would be like not buying a Deere or Kubota for fear of losing parts availability.

You do make a good point about maybe needing two attachments at once. That's why I have two power units! Most do not have much of a concern on this, though. Changeout between attachments is less than 5 minutes.