My Troybuilt two wheel tractor.

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #1  

looknlearn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, 1953 Economy King 2409
I posted a thread over on another 2 wheel tractor forum and mentioned something about how there was very little 2 wheel tractor forums in the US, someone mentioned this forum so I though I'd post here as well. Was doing some cleanup the other day, picking rocks and garbage out of the field we are turning into garden this year and out of the brush along the field. The first pics are of a heavy load of rocks and concrete and then we got a delivery of 1550 gal. water tanks for collecting rain water so I transported those over to the yard. Max speed on the Troybuilt is about 2 mph but it's easier than using a wheelbarrow and it is also easier to get on and off of than my tractor when picking rocks.
It gets decent traction with chains and a 80 or so pound weight. I would like to eventually put wheels weights on it for added weight.
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #2  
Neat wagon, good idea to use the old water tank as a box. DO you think a wagon would work better than a single axle trailer? I've got an old boat trailer axle that is just looking for a project:)

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor.
Neat wagon, good idea to use the old water tank as a box. DO you think a wagon would work better than a single axle trailer? I've got an old boat trailer axle that is just looking for a project:)

No, cause you can load up toward the front on a single axle trailer to give the tractor more traction. I am hoping to make a single axle trailer soon that I can pull with the Troybuilt. I think I'll have much more traction even just with my weight. I actually never have seen people using 4 wheel trailer on a 2 wheel tractor and I assume its because it is harder to maneuver and cause there is no tongue weight to give the tractor traction. I used what I had and it works decent for now.

Last edited:
   / My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #4  
HI! I use for many years a 10 cu ft. garden trailer I make tongue adaptor with 2x4 wood and a piece of 2x10 for seat. Very easy to drive and the trailer dump. I joint a pict Good luck Oldmech

Attachments

• PICt02nouv2.jpg
    PICt02nouv2.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 8,615
HI! I use for many years a 10 cu ft. garden trailer I make tongue adaptor with 2x4 wood and a piece of 2x10 for seat. Very easy to drive and the trailer dump. I joint a pict Good luck Oldmech

I like it. A simple and easy adaption.

I just was looking though all the threads you started on your single axle tractors. You got a nice herd of tractors there. I would like to someday get a BCS or Grillo when I win the lottery or something:D. I like the Grillo cause of the ground speed PTO and the high transport speed. I see you have both. Is one better than the other besides the engines.( like controls ease of use, shifting, turning hander bars around, etc..)
Thanks

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #6  
BCS and Grillo are both tough machines. Keep looking, you might find one at a good price. I wouldn't want to say what I paid for my 725, it was so low it might hurt someone's feelings:D That said, when I get rich I want a BCS853, or something with differentials:drool: Everything I see on ebay seems to be in the wrong place, to much shipping, but that good deal is out there.

BCS and Grillo are both tough machines. Keep looking, you might find one at a good price. I wouldn't want to say what I paid for my 725, it was so low it might hurt someone's feelings:D That said, when I get rich I want a BCS853, or something with differentials:drool: Everything I see on ebay seems to be in the wrong place, to much shipping, but that good deal is out there.

They are both a great machines, but I was just wondering if there was a difference in ease of use.
I know there are some great deals to be had if you can find them and are willing to travel I don't normally see them, I only hear about them from someone who got the deal.:( Saw one for 500 with attachments awhile ago but didn't have money at the time. I am hoping for a Diesel BCS 853 or 948 or Diesel Grillo 131. Wouldn't mind a Goldoni Super either but I don't see many in the US. The other ones would do but I always want to go for the biggest and best. :D

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #8  
Hey Tucker,

As far as used BCS machines, you can find some pretty good deals in the older models. I'd stick with models with differential - they're easier to handle, turn shorter with steering brakes, and have better traction. I'd also avoid the biggest BCS models - 745, 945, 946, 948. They are a good machine, but are very bulky and no more durable than the smaller differential machines. In fact they used the exact same transmission as the smaller diff machines. The only difference is they put gear reduction along with taller tires and a thrid stud for PTO attachments. they're also miserable in mowing applications. If a good deal came along, I'd buy one, but wouldn't bother for an average deal.

Here's the models you should consider. The 735 did not have a reverser and is spline drive PTO. They do have reverse, but you access it through the gear shifter, not with a T-bar on the handlebars. The transmission is a little tricky due to it's straight-through pattern. You'll find you shift right through the gear you want into the next neutral. They were made from the mid-70's to the late 80's. They're a good machine with 4 working speeds in "tractor" mode, two in "pusher" mode. This is accomplished with a second hi/lo lever to operate the transmission. Fifth gear is transport - about 8 mph

The 605 and 737 were made early to mid-90's and have a reverser, but are still spline drive PTO - not a big deal, but something to note. They still have the straight-through shift pattern as the 735, but no hi/lo lever. 3 working speeds. The 605 was considered a mowing machine and had the 4th transport gear in "pusher" mode. The 737 was considered a soil working/transport machine and had transport gear in "tractor" mode. Otherwise, no difference. If you're gonna pull a trailer and want to use transport speed, you'll want a "tractor" machine.

From 1995 to 2001 or so, they made an 830 and 850. 3 working speeds and 4th transport speed is in "pusher" mode. The only difference between them is the 830 came with smaller engines and smaller tires. Otherwise they're exactly the same. I have an 830 I repowered with a Lombardini LD440 diesel - great machine.

2001 to current models include the 852 and 853. The 852 is the "pusher", and the 853 is the "tractor". Watch out for the ones with the brakes on the steering column. They're a PITA and you'll find you never use them. these machines are the best ergonomically, but you're gonna pay a quite a bit to own one, even used.

Hopefully, this gives you a little guidance when it comes to what models to seek.

Bill in WI

Hey Tucker,

As far as used BCS machines, you can find some pretty good deals in the older models. I'd stick with models with differential - they're easier to handle, turn shorter with steering brakes, and have better traction. I'd also avoid the biggest BCS models - 745, 945, 946, 948. They are a good machine, but are very bulky and no more durable than the smaller differential machines. In fact they used the exact same transmission as the smaller diff machines. The only difference is they put gear reduction along with taller tires and a thrid stud for PTO attachments. they're also miserable in mowing applications. If a good deal came along, I'd buy one, but wouldn't bother for an average deal.

Here's the models you should consider. The 735 did not have a reverser and is spline drive PTO. They do have reverse, but you access it through the gear shifter, not with a T-bar on the handlebars. The transmission is a little tricky due to it's straight-through pattern. You'll find you shift right through the gear you want into the next neutral. They were made from the mid-70's to the late 80's. They're a good machine with 4 working speeds in "tractor" mode, two in "pusher" mode. This is accomplished with a second hi/lo lever to operate the transmission. Fifth gear is transport - about 8 mph

The 605 and 737 were made early to mid-90's and have a reverser, but are still spline drive PTO - not a big deal, but something to note. They still have the straight-through shift pattern as the 735, but no hi/lo lever. 3 working speeds. The 605 was considered a mowing machine and had the 4th transport gear in "pusher" mode. The 737 was considered a soil working/transport machine and had transport gear in "tractor" mode. Otherwise, no difference. If you're gonna pull a trailer and want to use transport speed, you'll want a "tractor" machine.

From 1995 to 2001 or so, they made an 830 and 850. 3 working speeds and 4th transport speed is in "pusher" mode. The only difference between them is the 830 came with smaller engines and smaller tires. Otherwise they're exactly the same. I have an 830 I repowered with a Lombardini LD440 diesel - great machine.

2001 to current models include the 852 and 853. The 852 is the "pusher", and the 853 is the "tractor". Watch out for the ones with the brakes on the steering column. They're a PITA and you'll find you never use them. these machines are the best ergonomically, but you're gonna pay a quite a bit to own one, even used.

Hopefully, this gives you a little guidance when it comes to what models to seek.

Bill in WI

Yeah, I'd definitely want one with a differential and steering brakes. The Troybuilt has no differential and it is a bear to turn with a lot of weight on it.

Thanks for the tip on the brakes on column and didn't know that about transport gear in "tractor" verses "pusher" mode. I'll make sure to look for that.

We are looking at the big ones because we want to be able to run the 32 inch tiller and I want the weight for traction and pulling a trailer. I know they would get bulky but with a differential and steering brakes it has got to be easier than muscling the Troybuilt around with weights and chains on the tires.

/ My Troybuilt two wheel tractor. #10  
I wish I had one of those big tillers, even though our garden is only 10 feet my 12 feet, it is a pain to dig over by hand, it took 2 days (we havnt used it in 3 years, so it was basically lawn) :D