Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #1  

mtevlin

Tractor
BCS 725 w/Acme 10 hp
I can't find the jam nut and crew to take off the clutch from my Acme motor. I've looked at the diagrams and can't seem to find the lock nut. It's an old cone clutch.

Anybody know where it is? Here is a picture.

Michael

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #2  
HI! Acme engine have conical taper crankshaft ends . In center inside clutch they are a allen screw on crankshaft. clutch is taper fit. can be stiff. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp
so does that mean I have to basically yank the clutch off with just some leverage first? How do I get inside to allen wrench spot? There are 4 screws on the outer parts of the clutch. Do I have to take apart the outer casing first or can I get to that allen screw without taking those apart?

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #4  
Hi! This allen screw is far away inside center of clutch . The Acme taper crankshaft end is short. You need a long 6 in.(may be 6mm allen key) . May be you can see it with a flashlight Good luck ! Oldmech

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #5  
Hi! I forget! No necessary to dismantle. For open the clutch you need to press the clutch in vise before because they are inside a big pressurized spring Can be dangerous. Be careful! Oldmech

Hi! I forget! No necessary to dismantle. For open the clutch you need to press the clutch in vise before because they are inside a big pressurized spring Can be dangerous. Be careful! Oldmech

So I finally got to that allen screw inside the clutch but I've been having the hardest time getting the clutch off the end of the tapered shaft. I was trying to pry it loose with a ball joint separator. It's not budging. I was trying to get it wedged in there and then banging it with a hammer but it won't budge at all. Any suggestions? I don't want to beat up the metal on the clutch too much. I already did a little bit.

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #7  
Hi! First Try to spray on shaft near clutch GUNK Liquid Wrench Super penetrant oil. WD-40 is no good for me. Wait 15 min. Spray again and with a 16 on. hammer tap around the clutch . Spray again be gentle just medium tap. If this dont work you need a puller. Good luck Oldmech

Gonna go get a puller from the auto store. Gonna put the clutch in a vise when I get it off to see if it'll pop but I still don't really get how it works. People have said to compress the clutch in a vise but it seems to me like it's in a casing that wouldn't budge at all. I actually can't really visualize how the lever actually pushes on the throw bearing to move the springs inside that clutch to tell you the truth. It's totally encased in steel! Beginner's learning curve I guess.

/ Clutch Repair on BCS 725/Acme 10 hp #9  
Hi! These clutchs are spring loaded If you remove the 3 bolts the spring can push the cover. I send you a pic. Be careful Good luck ! Oldmech

Attachments

• clutch 001.jpg
    clutch 001.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,536
finally got that clutch off! So should I put a vise on both sides and then compress? One end of the vise on the female end where the transimission shaft fits in and the other end on the side closest to the camshaft?