8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into?

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #11  
I have a 1996 DR by Bachtold Brothers. It is a great machine. One problem is the rubber tread on the wheels is about worn out. You can't buy the rubber only. You have to buy the entire wheel from DR. Last time I checked the wheels were $140 each plus shipping from DR. I am debating with myself about buying two new wheels because I suspect DR will quit stocking parts for the Bachtold Brothers model in the foreseeable future. I have not been able to find the wheels and/or the rubber anywhere else. They are not standard bicycle or cart wheels.

I also have a 2002 DR with a 15HP Kawasaki motor. The 2002 is much faster than the 1996 model and you can install an optional 42" mowing deck which makes it a good walk behind mower for a smooth lawn.

The 1996 model can go into tighter places and into deeper mud than the 2002 model because it is so light.

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into?
Well, I bought the 8HP I/C engine DR Mower today for only $150!!!! She is old, but it came with all the instrutions and parts list. It looks in pretty good shape.

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #13  
I have a 1996 DR by Bachtold Brothers. It is a great machine. One problem is the rubber tread on the wheels is about worn out. You can't buy the rubber only. You have to buy the entire wheel from DR. Last time I checked the wheels were $140 each plus shipping from DR. I am debating with myself about buying two new wheels because I suspect DR will quit stocking parts for the Bachtold Brothers model in the foreseeable future. I have not been able to find the wheels and/or the rubber anywhere else. They are not standard bicycle or cart wheels.

Is this machine driven off a gear attached to the wheel? Is that the issue?

I had another brand that was driven by a friction roller on the tire tread.

The original design that I'm remembering seems so much more practical from a weight/power perspective, but I suspect products liability forced the mfgs to go to an enclosed deck design and that pushed up the HP and weight requirements.

Some pictures would be good for this thread.

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #14  
My tires wore out on the DR mower ,but I wrapped them with 5/16 diameter chain with a nut and bolt to hold them on.Just measure with a string and
cut the chain to fit.Now the beast climbs like it has studded snowtires

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #15  
I have one of these mowers. It is a 1994 with a 8HP Briggs with pull start. It it amazing and will cut anything it can push over. I use it to cut a very steep bank in front of my house. It is a tough job that really pushes the limits of the mower but it get the job done. It does not have a pressurized oil system so the steep slope is probably not doing then engine any favors. Issues I have are: No reverse which is kind of a pain some times. Single speed which is often too fast or too slow. The belt to the blade comes off the pulley every once in a while. I love this unit, it works great.

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #16  
My tires wore out on the DR mower ,but I wrapped them with 5/16 diameter chain with a nut and bolt to hold them on.Just measure with a string and
cut the chain to fit.Now the beast climbs like it has studded snowtires
That's a great idea. I will try it. I just checked the wheel price from DR. The wheels are now $157.00 each.

Did you try 3/8" or 1/2" chain? Did you bolt the chain to itself or to the rim or both?

Thanks

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #17  
I had the same tire problem with my 20 year old original dr. mower . After lots of hours online ,I found a solution,and now my mower has brand nwe tires that look and work great.
I found that the measurements for a wheel sold by Northern tools ,actually a cart wheel was close enough to a match and ordered one wheel as a trial. It only took me about ten minutes to remove the old tire ,remove the new tire from the new wheel, and remount the new tire onto the dr. wheel. .
I have relayed the info to Dr. service . The wheel you want to buy is the 20 in. spoked wheel with semi-pneumatic tire. Item number if you order online is 145121,but instore just ask for the 2o in.spoked wheel.
I have pictures of my mower with the new tires and also some of the mounting procedure if you wish to see them. It is really easy.
Happy mowing
aubreyb1929@windstream.net

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #18  
We live 17 miles from the Bachtold factory and own one of their older mowers.---it pulls itself by a chain drive and small belt from the engine. The only problem we have is the blade belt wears out fast and the 8 hp B & S engine is a bear to start!---I took the front cover off and fabbed a much lighter cover around the blade! (still a bear to handle) The other bad thing is that they whip you around while in motion.---around here they sell for $50.
I never heard of them wearing off the tires! thanks; sonny

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #19  
I bought one of the 8hp briggs modrls for 150 dollars a year ago at a tractor show. It was like new and after a new mower belt and some fuel cleaner it runs like new. The machine is a beast. It will go anywhere and with the solid rubber tires flats are a non issue. It will mow one inch locust trees like they do not exist. It is a great machine. Ps
Parts are becoming an issue. DR has some on hand but many are not available.

My briggs starts on the second pull every time. The friction drive mower is a Yazoo. They are good mowers too but will not mow what the DR will.

/ 8.5 DR MOWER worth looking into? #20  
I had the same tire problem with my 20 year old original dr. mower . After lots of hours online ,I found a solution,and now my mower has brand nwe tires that look and work great.
I found that the measurements for a wheel sold by Northern tools ,actually a cart wheel was close enough to a match and ordered one wheel as a trial. It only took me about ten minutes to remove the old tire ,remove the new tire from the new wheel, and remount the new tire onto the dr. wheel. .
I have relayed the info to Dr. service . The wheel you want to buy is the 20 in. spoked wheel with semi-pneumatic tire. Item number if you order online is 145121,but instore just ask for the 2o in.spoked wheel.
I have pictures of my mower with the new tires and also some of the mounting procedure if you wish to see them. It is really easy.
Happy mowing
aubreyb1929@windstream.net

Thanks! the original wheels are no longer available from DR or Bachtold at any price. I had looked at the Northern wheels, but I had only considered replacing the whole wheel. I will try buying the wheels you recommend and using only the rubber. I also have had to reweld the steel spokes. I thought the original weld had failed, but it turns out that metal fatigue cracked the rims where the spokes joined the rim. Will you post pictures and mounting procedures? I have a 1996 8 HP DR that is useless without new wheels.