Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower

/ Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I've got a BCS 725, 8hp kohler Magnum, with a 40" sicklebar mower. Have a 6" extension in addition to the quick hitch. Right now the mower is too light for mowing in rough, steep hillsides. Got by today by wrapping a fairly heavy log chain around the extension. I'm guessing the chain is about 20 lbs, but is fairly close to the tractor. Don't really want to spend more for another extension. Where is the best place to add weight to the mower?

/ Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower #2  
Hey CM,

Do you have a scrap heap on the place? I've never done it, but Joel at Earth Tools said he has used heavy flat stock (4 inches wide, half or more inch thick) bolted under the cutterbar. Basically you need to drill 2 or 3 holes to line up with the attachment point in the middle, drill 2 holes on each end to line up with the height skids, and get longer bolts. You won't be able to get as close to the ground with the bar (maybe an inch), but Joel says this works best because you get the weight exactly where it's needed without making the whole unit longer. If you bolt a thick enough piece of flat stock, you may even get to take the 6 inch extension off and have a more compact unit.

/ Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower
I'll try that. I actually have a couple of 30" sickle bar base plates, may I'll be luckly and the bolts will actually line up.:) Height doesn't matter much when you are mowing 4-6' tall weeds on a slope close to 45 degrees. I just wanted to keep the bar somewhere close to the ground. It is steep enough that the tractor loses traction going up, and sideways is a challenge. Glad i have a brake.