Silver Member
    Tractor
    BCS 850

Default Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower

I've got a BCS 725, 8hp kohler Magnum, with a 40" sicklebar mower. Have a 6" extension in addition to the quick hitch. Right now the mower is too light for mowing in rough, steep hillsides. Got by today by wrapping a fairly heavy log chain around the extension. I'm guessing the chain is about 20 lbs, but is fairly close to the tractor. Don't really want to spend more for another extension. Where is the best place to add weight to the mower?

Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

Default Re: Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower

Hey CM,

Do you have a scrap heap on the place? I've never done it, but Joel at Earth Tools said he has used heavy flat stock (4 inches wide, half or more inch thick) bolted under the cutterbar. Basically you need to drill 2 or 3 holes to line up with the attachment point in the middle, drill 2 holes on each end to line up with the height skids, and get longer bolts. You won't be able to get as close to the ground with the bar (maybe an inch), but Joel says this works best because you get the weight exactly where it's needed without making the whole unit longer. If you bolt a thick enough piece of flat stock, you may even get to take the 6 inch extension off and have a more compact unit.
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, Berta double rotary plow, 18 inch combined ridger, Caravaggi BIO90 chipper, Bellon 32"rough cut mower, Del Morino 26 inch rough cut mower, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger,

Deere B, 60, 4430 open station, 4430 SGB, and all the implements to work 'em

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BCS 850

Default Re: Weights on a BCS sickle bar mower

I'll try that. I actually have a couple of 30" sickle bar base plates, may I'll be luckly and the bolts will actually line up. Height doesn't matter much when you are mowing 4-6' tall weeds on a slope close to 45 degrees. I just wanted to keep the bar somewhere close to the ground. It is steep enough that the tractor loses traction going up, and sideways is a challenge. Glad i have a brake.