Grillo vs BCS

/ Grillo vs BCS #1  

westva

Alot of great information on this board and I believe that I probably can't go wrong with either of these brands.

Though I am primarily looking for a soilworking tool and could probably go cheaper for my most immediate concerns, I have narrowed my choices down to the BCS 853 and the Grillo 107D. I am going to get the berta rotary plow and eventually get a power harrow, a trailer, and a flail mower some time down the road.

Any thoughts or opinions to sway me one way or another? The grillo is significantly cheaper. The BCS seems more popular and the availability of used implements maybe more likely.

thanks

/ Grillo vs BCS #2  
I researched both these brands a year ago but decided to struggle on with my troy bilt pony. What I found out was that if your going to just till with it the Grillo is just as good or even a shade better than the BCS. However EVERYONE said if you planned on using it with other impliments that the BCS was the best by a good margin. Since you have plans down the road I think the BCS would be the best even if it is more money. Also I would imagine the extra money for the BCS will be recouped if and when you ever decide to sell it. Nobody much knows about the Grillos and BCS is very common and well known.

/ Grillo vs BCS
Thanks I appreciate your input Bilrus.

/ Grillo vs BCS #4  
Hi Westva,

WARNING - I sell Grillo machines new and buy used BCS machines to rebuild and sell. Take this into consideration when reading my advice.

They're very similar machines. BCS is the largest manufacturer of walk behind tractors in Italy, Grillo is the second. They've both been building these machines at least 50 years and actually worked together for the late 60 to the early 80's. In the unlikely event that you ever see a BCS 755 for sale, it's a Grillo 131 painted blue. Grillo was actually the first to come up with the idea of multiple tools off one engine. Before they started working together, BCS only made purpose built sickle mowers. As far as staying power, they're matched.

The BCS 853 is a very nice machine. I have its predecessor as my primary garden tractor - an 850 diesel. It has a few advantages over the Grillo 107d The biggest advantage is more horsepower. This means you can put larger attachments on the BCS. It also has a lot more name recognition. BCS has been imported in one form or another since 1975. Grillo has been here since 2005. 30 years longer to embed into the US consumers consciousness.

They also have a much larger dealer network, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I recently had a fellow bring in a 716 that had been through two local BCS dealerships and a Non-BCS dealership and still had problems. Though I'm not a BCS dealer, I had the problems fixed in short order. He'll never go to a BCS dealer again. I also fixed a guy's 850 he just bought "in perfect working order" from a third BCS dealership a little further away. It had three rather major problems with it that cost him 20 bucks in parts. He'll never take it to a BCS dealership again.

The Grillo has a few advantages over the BCS. First is a lower price point. Joel is THE importer for Grillo. You buy direct from him or you buy from one of his dealers. BCS is imported through BCS America. They get a cut. They sell them through distributers. They get a cut. The distributors sell them to the dealers. They get a cut. Everything from the Grillo tractor to the Grillo implements to the Grillo service parts are cheaper.

The Grillo also has a better designed clutch. It's serviceable and can be rebuilt for about 50 bucks. BCS's clutch is nonserviceable and has to be replaced for $250. Yes, they can be broken. More so, BCS's clutch has a bad habit of sticking. They tell you right off the bat (if the dealer's any good) that you need to leave the clutch disengaged when not in use or it will be seized by the next time you use it. Unseizing them requires taking the engine off the tractor, taking the clutch off the engine, and squeezing it the a vise. About half an hour for someone who knows what they're doing.

Grillo's biggest advantage is Joel Dufour at Earth Tools in Owenton Kentucky. He's forgotten more than I know about both BCS and Grillo. He knows more about BCS than most of the fellows AT BCS America. With him running the importation of Grillo machines, you can bet your bottom dollar he'll get what is needed for the US market, not just what they want a dealer to sell.

As far as used implements, many older rear mount BCS implements and the sickle mowers will bolt directly to the Grillo with no adaptor. As I mentioned, BCS and Grillo worked together for a long time. They are very similar machines. Newer rear mount attachments will also bolt right up to the Grillo with a $60 adaptor. The Grillo turns the the opposite direction when in front mount mode, so the only front mount attachment that will work is a sickle mower. Snowblowers and rotary mowers will turn opposite and not work. Blowers can be adapted by flipping the gearbox, but it's just better to buy what you need in that case.

From what you mentioned for desired attachments, I think you'd do fine with the 107d, unless you want the wider implements.

/ Grillo vs BCS #5  
I own a BCS 853 and it is a great machine. It easily handles my rotary plow, 34" flail mower and 26" tiller.

I agree with Bill in Wisconsin's comments. If I were to do it all over again, I'd buy a Grillo 107D, a 26" flail mower, a 26" tiller, a rotary plow and use the left over money to buy a power harrow.
Bill in NC

/ Grillo vs BCS
Thanks FBB,

I was really hoping that you would chime in. All your activity on this board is much appreciated. I would be inclined to buy directly from you if I weren't so much closer Kentucky. I would like to go pick it up in person at my and their earliest convenience (and probably walk out with more implements than if I mail-ordered). If you don't mind I have a few more questions:
1. Am I reading it correctly that the 107d has higher running speeds despite lesser HP?

2. You have written previously that you did not think the 8hp diesel provides the truly appropriate amount of power and that you preferred the Honda engine. (I am inferring a little here). I have reluctantly talked myself out of the diesel due to budgetary demands and so was happy to come across your additional argument against.

A side note to back-up your characterization of BCS dealers.
I have been belaboring this purchase for a couple months now, talking to anyone who might have some knowledge of this equipment. Of two BCS owners I know here in WV, they were both relatively happy with their machines but extremely and demonstratively negative about dealer they went through.

thanks,
brian

/ Grillo vs BCS
Bill in NC,

Thanks for the feedback.
I realize that you don't have the Harrow. But by all accounts it looks pretty awesome. If you did have one, do you think it would replace your tiller as your secondary tillage implement or do you feel the tiller is indispensable?

-brian

/ Grillo vs BCS
Bill,
I understand you also run a diesel. Why do you prefer it?
Thanks again,
brian

/ Grillo vs BCS #9  
Oh I should say this too, since I was just going to till with my tiller I was going to get a Grillo 85D. I didn't want to sound like I was a BCS rah rah guy. I think for a pure tiller the Grillo 85d can't be beat for the money. As far as my engine goes I tried every way I could to logic that a diesel was the best but I just couldn't make it work. Even though we have off road fuel here on the farm that is tax free. I WAS however going to pay extra and get the Kohler/Yamaha gas on my mythical Grillo 85d. <sigh>

/ Grillo vs BCS #10  
I store my BCS inside the warehouse at our business. Diesel fuel is inherently safer than gasoline. It was a fire/flammabilty thing. Having said that, I opted for the largest diesel Earthtools could put on it. It is a sweet running machine. I also have a 737 with a 13hp manual start Honda. It is considerably lighter and bit more nimble than my big wheel/tired equipped 853.
Bill in NC