BCS power barrow

/ BCS power barrow #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
In some older posts I pictured my BCS 725 with the barrow attachment I built. been using it all summer, love it. Wife says that the machine is worth what ever I paid for it :) Mostly used for moving mulch, but have found I can stack 5 sections of old heavy scafolding w/ walkboards and move it around the house(taken apart). Last week we had to move some dirt, up a very steep hill, the machine made it possible, could/would not have done it any other way. Moved full buckets of rock down the hill. dirt back up. pic show how steep it is. Awesome machine.

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 2,041
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 2,447
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,460
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 913
   / BCS power barrow #2  
Nice Unit. Thanks for the pics

/ BCS power barrow #3  
The pictures show well how your machine behaves going up the hill. An impressive performance on the steep and narrow incline. Thanks for posting it.

/ BCS power barrow #5  
I really like that, I've been toying with the ideal of building one for one of my Gravely's got just about everything it takes to do it except I can't weld, not sure bolting the frame work will be strong enought.

Last edited:
   / BCS power barrow #6  
Hi Cmyoung,

That is a very nice unit. Looks like you know your way around a welder. Those 8 HP Kohler Magnums are impressive little power units, aren't they?

A couple questions - How well does it dump the large loads? I think I see the hinge is all the way forward, which means you'd be lifting the entire load while dumping. Is there a reason you didn't put the hinge closer to the center of the load and make a locking mechanism to keep it from dumping while transporting?

Second, Do you have the attachment point rigid or does it swivel at the PTO to allow for twist going over rough terrain? Could I see a pic of the attachment point?

Third, Does your 725 have brakes? I see a lever on the right handlebar.

/ BCS power barrow
the pivot point for the bucket is just behind the front angle of the bucket, which is about the same place as it was when it was a people powered. It dumps really well, one handed from the frame at the back of the bucket. I do have a short four link chain welded to the bucket frame with a bent bolt as a hook to prevent unwanted dumping, needed sometimes going down hill. Unit works really well on flat ground and going up and down hills, but will flip on side slopes. It does swivel at the PTO attachment point, I just elongated the hole for the quick attach pin. That actually caused too much swivel, so I welded a couple of limiters to the side of the attachment. And yes, this 725 has a brake. I added it because the unit will roll if I leave the clutch in while loading on a hill, and sometimes it just needs help stoping. mountians are fun sometimes. Pictures will have to wait,May want to look at some of my earlier post with pic during construction, might show better. We are harvesting and shipping christmas trees now, 14-18hr days until mid Dec. I'll try to remember.

/ BCS power barrow
Johnny19533, bolting the frame might work, but it would take a lot of planning to get the joints right, more metal because of the joint overlap, and the problems keeping everything rigid. What you need to consider is taking a community college welding class, using this as a project, thinking about all the other things you need to weld, and there you have it, A NEW REASON TO BUY A NEW (used) TOOL :) Welding is not that hard.

/ BCS power barrow
farmerboybill, finally got a chance to get some pictures of the attachment point. The hole for the quick connect is elongated (too much at first, had to weld it smaller) I also welded on peices of square tubing to act as a stop against the flat sides of the quick connect. One picture is how much tilt I have. Any more and the weight of the motor(and me) haqve to keep it from tipping. Seems to work.
FARM23, i'm in Ashe Co. too, Helton-downtown Sturgills

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG_2050.jpg