"Powersafe" clutch on BCS

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #31  
Minus paying more for more things I don't really need and can break, the removal of transport gear would be a deal breaker if I was shopping for a new tractor. I'd hate to have to buy a 4 wheeled tractor and trailer just so I can get the BCS ' on the scene'

Cory

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #32  
Hey All,

I'm off to what is considered by some to be "the" organic farming conference - MOSES Organic Farming Conference in la Crosse, WI February 23, 24, and 25th. BCS usually shows up with 5 or 6 machines with various attachments to represent their line. I hope to see a 740 powersafe there and give a report on what I think when I get home. They don't give demonstrations, but maybe I can ask to be allowed to drive it back to the truck when the conference is over...

If anyone is going, I hope to see you there.

Bill in WI

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #33  
Yes, I have two BCS 740s both with recoil start Honda GX390. If they called it an 853 folks would forever be getting controls mixed up. Its different but makes sense when you use it. From the European brochure I expect all of the tractors to get the hydraulic clutch. If it is considered safer than the previous models BCS and the other brands on the market I think you have to use the system. Try selling something you think is good but is "less safe" in consumers minds.

Hey John,

When has that ever stopped BCS? Do you stock the new 710? How much is it like the old 710, made less than 10 years ago? They easily could have called it the 716, which is what it is...

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #34  
farmerboybill said:
Hey All,

I'm off to what is considered by some to be "the" organic farming conference - MOSES Organic Farming Conference in la Crosse, WI February 23, 24, and 25th. BCS usually shows up with 5 or 6 machines with various attachments to represent their line. I hope to see a 740 powersafe there and give a report on what I think when I get home. They don't give demonstrations, but maybe I can ask to be allowed to drive it back to the truck when the conference is over...

If anyone is going, I hope to see you there.

Bill in WI

Looking forward to your report back.

I saw a BCS youtube video and there was a quick reverse lever on the handle bars (it was red). Does the new powersafe model have this feature?

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #35  
The red handle in the right hand handle is the same quick reverse control as on the current BCS 732 and 853. The lever is gated so the lever cannot mistakenly go from forward to reverse without intentionally moving the control. The black handle on the right hand side is the differential lock control. The black handle on the left hand side is the parking brake.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #36  
Hey John,

When has that ever stopped BCS? Do you stock the new 710? How much is it like the old 710, made less than 10 years ago? They easily could have called it the 716, which is what it is...

Hello Bill,

I think the performance of the new 710 is another topic not related to Powersafe discussion. Who cares what it is called if if performs well. Enjoy your show. The New York State Farm show has great attendance the first day and all the BCS's are on display. Any one who wants to study the new models is welcome to come by the NY State Fairgrounds at the International Pavilion and to run any model when we load up Saturday at 4PM. Informed customers and users is always our #1 goal.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS
I kinda think BCS calls it a 710 to fit in their new lineup....710, 720, 730, 740, etc.
Let me repeat an earlier question....with a diesel, how long do they run on after you release the red lever? I'm asking about the current non hydraulic clutch models.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #38  
The BCS 853 model with the diesel engine runs only as long as the engine takes to stop turning when the fuel is shutoff. This about one second if the engine is at idle and 4 to 5 seconds if the engine is at full speed. The engine will stop quicker if there is a load on the engine by the attachment. Also the engine will take longer to stop when running the chipper/shredder as the 37lb flywheel in the chipper must be stopped by the engine as well as just the engine, unless the clutch is squeezed.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #40  
Hey All,

They did not have a powersafe at the MOSES show. Last year, they had 6 or 7 machines - including the 948 and new-for-2011 710 (716 from 8 years ago) - with various attachments - including the new woodsplitter. It was a very nice display and a good opportunity to see what they had to offer. This years display was a couple smaller machines plus a 732 and 853 with tiller and rotary plow. They had very little information on the powersafe clutch.

I have to say that I am certainly against these completely taking the place of the cone clutch currently offered. The cone clutch could stand to be re-engineered (15 years overdue) to eliminate the troublesome sticking issue, but it is a proven, durable, excellent quality clutch.

The new powersafe clutch was only brought into production to comply with EU safety standards and one reason for them to bring it here could be to eliminate having two product lines. It needlessly complicates the machine. As Clytle said, it makes the machine less functional due to the loss of transport gear. I use transport gear all the time on my 850 to get from point A to point B, even without a sulky trailer - just set the throttle at idle and brisk walk behind it. The warranty on the clutch is 5 years. The clutch itself is NONserviceable (like the current cone clutch), so you'll be buying a complete clutch if this one fails after 5 years. The simple and proven cone clutch is around $200. I can't imagine how expensive the powersafe clutch will be. Also, BCS America is eating several hundred dollars of the cost of the new 740 and 750. Next year, I doubt they will continue to do so.

If you agree with me, you should call or email BCS America right now and voice your concerns. Once they drop the cone clutch and offer only the powersafe clutch, it'll be too late. I may be wrong (as I have been on this thread a couple times already), but I think they plan on dropping the cone clutch completely on the new machines. A bunch of calls and emails could prevent this from happening.