"Powersafe" clutch on BCS

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #41  
In response for the BCS 740 PowerSafe nay sayers I'd like offer that the BCS 740 and 750 clutches are shown in the part diagrams shown at: http://www.bcsamerica.com/eis/EPL Files/2012.740.pdf and they appear to be fully serviceable. These are disk clutches with replaceable friction surfaces as it appears are all other parts. The part prices are in the soon to be released new parts price list. So it would appear these clutches will be less expensive to repair if they need service verses replacing the whole friction. I expect the new clutch to be as big of an advance as when BCS went from the pre 1994 18mm splined PTO shaft to the internal engaged 25mm shaft and slider.

The question of the availability of BCS 730 EasyDrive tractor with the live PTO is probably not this year as the current 732 is selling so well and dealers and distributors bought a lot of them. BCS America tries to have support for new models here in the US before they introduce it. Now if I can get the EasyDrive for my snowthrower for next winter.....

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS
Live PTO! Wow!
I google at Easydrive and get nowhere.
Would it could it be that the clutch lever does the wheels and the red lever does both wheels and implement?
I'm guessing the PS clutch releases when the motor goes off so a parking brake is needed.
Shall we start a new thread?

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #43  
In response for the BCS 740 PowerSafe nay sayers I'd like offer that the BCS 740 and 750 clutches are shown in the part diagrams shown at: http://www.bcsamerica.com/eis/EPL Files/2012.740.pdf and they appear to be fully serviceable. These are disk clutches with replaceable friction surfaces as it appears are all other parts. The part prices are in the soon to be released new parts price list. So it would appear these clutches will be less expensive to repair if they need service verses replacing the whole friction. I expect the new clutch to be as big of an advance as when BCS went from the pre 1994 18mm splined PTO shaft to the internal engaged 25mm shaft and slider.

The question of the availability of BCS 730 EasyDrive tractor with the live PTO is probably not this year as the current 732 is selling so well and dealers and distributors bought a lot of them. BCS America tries to have support for new models here in the US before they introduce it. Now if I can get the EasyDrive for my snowthrower for next winter.....

Hey John,

I absolutely agree with you that 1995 was a good year for BCS. They added instant reverse to the entire lineup (605 and 737 previously), put stops at every gear on the transmission shifters, made the PTO shifter internal (complicated it, but made it better at the same time), replaced the 200 series with the single speed 710 as their low-cost model that was just as durable as its big brothers and would accept the same attachments.

This time, though, is not an upgrade. This clutch is made to comply with European safety standards. Standards we do not have in the U.S. If these standards were not in effect in the E.U., this clutch would never have been invented. This clutch also takes away transport gear, making the tractors LESS useful.

Maybe you can list for me the advantages of a clutch that costs more than the previous model, takes away a good feature (transport gear), and slams a tractor to a stop so hard that they had to eliminate the transport gear or risk hurting someone. I'll start the list -

1. Eliminates having to restart the engine when the OPC is activated.

That's all I got.

In the end, I have NO problem with introducing the powersafe clutch here. If there's demand for it, it will sell. If there isn't, it will not. I would never own one because of the reasons I've made abundantly clear. My concern is whether or not they're going to replace the machines they have now with it, which is what I think they're planning. A phone call or email to BCS America from all who have the same concerns could convince them that the powersafe machines should be sold alongside the cone clutch machines, NOT in place of them. It is far easier to prevent a company from eliminating a product than it is to get them to bring it back.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #44  
What I don't understand is why are the EU laws determining the entire company lineup?

Are there alot of 2 wheel tractors in use in Africa, Asia, etc? Why isn't there a market for both models?

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #45  
TimberXX,

That is a fantastic question. My hope is that BCS will offer the powersafe clutch alongside the current cone clutch. If someone wants the powersafe for the one advantage I mentioned and doesn't care about the many disadvantages, fine.

My biggest concern is if BCS tries to eliminate the cone clutch and replace it with only powersafe clutches. That is why I recommend everyone who is also concerned to contact BCS America and thier favorite dealer and TELL them not to push the powersafe clutch as a replacement to the cone clutch. Once they drop the cone clutch, it's gone forever.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #46  
Just a quick comment. The BCS equipment we get in North America is less than 15% of the world wide market for their equipment. The range of BCS models they build is shown at: Two-wheel tractors.

While some models can be modified for North American market, BCS is very unlikely to build a whole different set of models for our small market. I, for one, am happy they sell us their tractors and attachments and support them many good dealers and distributors. BCS America works hard to give us their best equipment.

BCS 730 EasyDrive is shown at this link.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #47  
Hi Hay bill. Will grillo be making changes to there tractor line up adding or dropping models, any info

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #48  
Hey John,

I absolutely agree with you that 1995 was a good year for BCS. They added instant reverse to the entire lineup (605 and 737 previously), put stops at every gear on the transmission shifters, made the PTO shifter internal (complicated it, but made it better at the same time), replaced the 200 series with the single speed 710 as their low-cost model that was just as durable as its big brothers and would accept the same attachments.

This time, though, is not an upgrade. This clutch is made to comply with European safety standards. Standards we do not have in the U.S. If these standards were not in effect in the E.U., this clutch would never have been invented. This clutch also takes away transport gear, making the tractors LESS useful.

Maybe you can list for me the advantages of a clutch that costs more than the previous model, takes away a good feature (transport gear), and slams a tractor to a stop so hard that they had to eliminate the transport gear or risk hurting someone. I'll start the list -

1. Eliminates having to restart the engine when the OPC is activated.

That's all I got.

In the end, I have NO problem with introducing the powersafe clutch here. If there's demand for it, it will sell. If there isn't, it will not. I would never own one because of the reasons I've made abundantly clear. My concern is whether or not they're going to replace the machines they have now with it, which is what I think they're planning. A phone call or email to BCS America from all who have the same concerns could convince them that the powersafe machines should be sold alongside the cone clutch machines, NOT in place of them. It is far easier to prevent a company from eliminating a product than it is to get them to bring it back.

Bill,

You missed the entire point of using the hydraulic clutch. The point is to have a strong clutch for the more powerful engines and heavier load attachments. The benefits are:

1. No more sticking clutch if incorrectly stored with the clutch engaged for prolonged periods.
2. No hot sticking if run under extremely heavy loads for long period of time. (ones where even the diesels slow down)
3. Much lighter clutch lever force as it is only actuating a valve.
4. Shorter clutch lever travel for operators with short fingers. More than a 1/3 of my sales are too girls starting CSAs
5. Have a clutch more more heavy continuous loads like generators, water pumps, new reduced tillage tools.
6. Once you have the hydraulic clutch why stop the engine just disengage the clutch. This one was a freebee

For folks who hate safety controls the tractor operates just like your manual shift truck when the red handle is down. I can't say more...

I wrote a two page history on how this came about but it got lost in the editing. Now I have to go fill some orders to pay the bills

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS
Thanks for the link BCSSHOP! EasyDrive looks cool. Like a clutchless reverse. I imagine there is a stop of movement between forward and reverse that would be handy for like letting a snowthrower catch up.
I'm liking all this.

/ "Powersafe" clutch on BCS #50  
Hi! Gravely L model have true shuttle since 1950 they use planetary and band in oil very reliable mine is sixty years old and run very well. Gravely have live PTO. You can change gear and reverse with no stop. Old Gravely was the best built two wheels tractor . Now for safety. Not the best! I read the EU new law Very tough! Any Move must stop inside (less) one second and engine must no stop (stay running.) Top speed 8 km (5 mille) My Grillo 13 kms. This law made in 1997. For 2014 Could kill small factory as Grillo. and other. Bcs buy Ferrari and Pasquali . and is now the more large two wheels builder in EU. This is sad for me Price could go higher. Good luck! Oldmech