New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #1  

Grut

Silver Member
Hey fellas anybody have an old BCS/Mainline 24" blower attachement? Wondering what your input is on this old attachement. I got one off ebay a bit ago and love how heavy duty this thing is built. I had to get the adapter because of the 10 spline on the attachment and 3 dog on the 730 harvester tractor with the kohler M8 engine. I ended up getting the adapter and a transport wheel for the tiller from Earth Tools --Great people to deal with.
Just wish I had enough snow to really test it out. I was able to only test with about 4" and it worked good--shot some snow far, but I am still waiting for 12+". Oh ya the reasons I got it: got sick of the tractor only being used just to till the garden and to help my old black lab when the snow gets deep my property so he still has some trails to walk with me in the evenings.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #2  
I picked up a 28" (I think) blower last year, BCS with the 10 spline, use it with my 725, 8hp Kolher Mag. Had snow last year, worked great on most of it, a little tough in the wet, slushy stuff. Gravel will stop it. I cleaned my drive and about 3 neighbors. Loved it. No snow yet this year, and it just breaks my heart (yeah right) Working on building a blade to handle some of the heavy stuff. I do use chains, a set of old cut down car chains, for extra traction, also have wheel extensions. Both help with the blower.

Last edited:
   / New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower
cmyoung2 thanks for tips. I really wanted chains but the stock wheel spacing looks way to close to the cables and such. I was worried that the spacers would make it difficult to turn also. I also have looked at studding the tires but still undecided. May just spaceers and chains sometime this summer. Good idea on the plow. I use my atv to plow with normally and my front loader on the tractor to restack if needed. I plan on using the blower to do the driveway especially when the wind is blowing hard. Plowing can just build up the sides to have another full driveway after the wind.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #4  
Grut, The wheel spacers i use are 5" i think, also have the adjustable wheels turned out as far as i can.I also upgraded to the 4x10" wheels. Really didn't notice it being much harder to turn, but it really helped with stability with the tiller, sickle bar mower and power barrow. Still hope to get one with a diff sometime, until then, muscle steering:)

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #5  
I bought one years ago to use with my 725 to clear a total of 350 ft of driveway and road to barn - it works great. I have cut through 48" drifts in front of my barn (took severeral passes) and it threw the snow 30ft. without any problem. Like any other snowblower it isn't that crazy about wet, slushy snow. It is built like a tank and works very well.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #6  
These are good snowthrowers for deep and fairly dry snows. Very simple chute control which has no problems. It is not as effective in wet slushy snows as the new units. The skids seemed to wear out too quickly which may need new shoes welded on in a few years of use.

As with all direct drive snowthrowers be sure the auger/impeller turns freely before engaging the PTO. A frozen or rock jammed rotor can cause the splines on the PTO slider and on the input shaft to get damaged if the clutch is suddenly released at high engine revs. Failures of the 18mm drive on the snowthrower was one of the driving forces for BCS to increase the size of the PTO shaft and move a much larger diameter PTO slider internal to the gear box.

Used sensibly these old units will work for a long time. The shear pins are actually 10x50 roll pins which are still available from BCS as part number 342.11102 and they are only $1.10.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #7  
Where are the shear pins? Haven't sheared one yet, but don't have a clue where they are. I have jammed gravel in mine, enough to stop the motor dead, instantly, but nothing sheared.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #8  
The shear pins are round roll pins that are driven through the auger/impeller and the shaft driving them near the gear box. You remove a broken one by driving in out with 5/16" to 3/8" drift. Use a 2 lb or heavier hammer as the are a tight fit and don't move easily.

Many times the auger/impeller (which BCS calls a turbine) gets rusted on the shaft defeating the purpose of having a shear pin. The good news is that the gearbox is strong usually takes the abuse. Ideally the turbines would be fitted onto a greased shaft. Neverseize works well but it is a major task to remove the turbines to apply.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower
Thanks for the heads up and history info BCSSHOP, very much appreciated. I may tear mine down this summer and never seize the shaft just to be safe.
I got to use mine the other day and it never bogged down thru a 28" pile of packed snow which came off the roof. It went right thru it, I had to back up and hit it again because of all the snow which went over the top of it. I also took it thru some drifts 20" by 40' in the backyard, tossed them nice and far. Unbelievable power from that M8 Kohler.

/ New old BCS/Mainline Snowblower #10  
For anyone who wants to see a BCS with and 8hp Kohler engine blowing snow here is a picture sent to me years ago by Dave_in_CT. I believe he told me it was so much fun he blew the whole backyard. If you aren't having fun with your machines you have the wrong machine!
DaveT725.jpg

Attachments

• DaveT725.jpg
    DaveT725.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 470