BCS Prices

/ BCS Prices #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
I am surprised that BCS had another 10 percent price increase this year. What's going on? Is demand increasing?

We run them at work, but if these prices continue to go up, we need to look at other options.

What do you guys think? Are the prices too high for you?

What did I gravely cost back in the day?

/ BCS Prices #2  
I compared the suggested retail pricing of several models from BCS America and it looks like it was for the most part a 5% increase, with a few attachments not following the 5% increase.

I agree that BCS is expensive, but its quality and not a throw away machine and needing replaced frequently.

/ BCS Prices #3  
Actually, the BCS prices have gone up very, very little over that past 30 years. When Paul Sullivan was selling the 715 (basically a 722) in the late 70's, he was getting $2500. You can still get a 722 for around that price. With inflation, they're actually much cheaper now. Same as televisions before China figured out how to use their slave labor to make them.

You're spoiled on cheap Chinese manufacturing and Walmart. If you want a cheap price with no other consideration, I suggest you buy a MTD.

/ BCS Prices
farmerboybill said:
Actually, the BCS prices have gone up very, very little over that past 30 years. When Paul Sullivan was selling the 715 (basically a 722) in the late 70's, he was getting $2500. You can still get a 722 for around that price. With inflation, they're actually much cheaper now. Same as televisions before China figured out how to use their slave labor to make them.

You're spoiled on cheap Chinese manufacturing and Walmart. If you want a cheap price with no other consideration, I suggest you buy a MTD.

Easy there farmerboy... I don't want to get in to a MTD, Walmart, China debate which obviously is a sore spot for ya.

2500 for a bcs in the 70s seems a little high, but none the less, $3800 for a 853 is reasonable. But when you start looking at mid 4000s, I can get a used CUT for that money.

Also, the 38 inch mowing deck was 1400 a couple years ago. Now its 2350. These are the price increases I am talking about.

They are quality machines, and will last nearly a lifetime if taken care of. I am willing to pay for quality, but I also want to be sure I am getting a fair deal.

/ BCS Prices #6  
Now, you need to compare apples to apples. A used CUT is not comparable to a new Walk-behind. You'd need 5-10 more hp to lug you around, so you'd be looking for an 18-23 hp CUT. A quick search on tractorhouse showed 4688 tractors under 40 hp. 944 were $4500 or less. A quick scan through showed a 2000 Kubota 2410 24 hp as the newest one I saw. That machine has had 12 years of unknown use. It could be trashed. If you buy a new BCS or Grillo, you're getting a 3 year warranty and a NEW machine. If you buy a used BCS from 2000, you're gonna pay a fair amount less than that Kubota and probably get a few attachments with it.

The mower is an outlayer. They needed to re-engineer it to make the blades stop within 6 seconds or something like that recently to make it legal. This added significantly to the cost of the mower. I agree with you that it's a little overpriced. The other main units - $1000 for a 28 inch snow blower, $600 for a 30 inch tiller, 1100 for a rotary plow, et cetera are reasonable, especially if you compare them to the disposable purpose-built junk the AYP and MTD build.

If you buy a BCS or Grillo and stick with an 853 or 107d, you're gonna be happy with it. I think you'll be less happy with the usefulness of a 732, but very happy with the quality.

Last edited:
   / BCS Prices
Good point on the CUT, years of unknown use are a concern.

I can handle a re engineered deck costing more money.

We run 8xx series due to the high speed, we only run the unit in the forward direction.

Does anyone have experience with the 6xx series? We only use front mount attachments, but I would be concerned with a "grey market" BCS. Are my concerns realistic?

/ BCS Prices #8  
The 600 series are BCS built - nothing "grey market" has the BCS name on it. The current production 620 does not have differential lock and steering brakes. For steering brakes and differential, you will need to find a 604, which hasn't been sold new in the U.S. for about 20 years. Your other option is Free-wheel devices on a BCS 620 or Grillo GF4. I call them "poor man's differential". They have their own demons that I can get into if you'd like. I have explained them in previous posts that can be searched.

/ BCS Prices
farmerboybill said:
The 600 series are BCS built - nothing "grey market" has the BCS name on it. The current production 620 does not have differential lock and steering brakes. For steering brakes and differential, you will need to find a 604, which hasn't been sold new in the U.S. for about 20 years. Your other option is Free-wheel devices on a BCS 620 or Grillo GF4. I call them "poor man's differential". They have their own demons that I can get into if you'd like. I have explained them in previous posts that can be searched.

I thought grey market was a tractor sold in the states by a dealer, but not sold by the corporation. I don't see the 600 on the bcs usa website. Can BCS dealers get parts for the 600s?

I have read your review of the free wheel device, and have decided its not for us.

/ BCS Prices #10  
I consider a grey market tractor something like a Nortrac from Northern Tool. They import a Chinese tractor, put their sticker on it and sell it. I could be wrong.

Joel at Earth Tools sells the 620. It's built by BCS with BCS stickers on it. You can see it on his website.