Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    TroyBilt Horse

Default 83 TroyBilt Horse with 13 HP Honda

I replaced the 7 HP Kohler engine on my Horse tiller with this 13 HP Honda engine.

I've since named my tiller: "Atilla the BeastMaster"

More Power!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -honda-tiller-9-jpg   -honda-tiller-6-jpg  
    Last edited by Crazy like a Horse; 03-02-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BCS 605, 740, 850

Default Re: 83 TroyBilt Horse with 13 HP Honda

Hello Crazy,

That looks like a very neat installation to one of the best TroyBilt Models. I especially like the way you reworked the bumper. People forget that the TroyBilt sold well over a million just Horse model tillers before being acquired by MTD in 2001. I good solid 1980's to early 1990s Horse tiller is well worth restoring and maintaining. Thanks for sharing your update to a 29 year TroyBilt. Enjoy Atilla

Tractor
    TroyBilt Horse

Thanks BCSHOP and good eye spotting the bumper mod. Just in case anyone wishes to do something similar I'm posting some pics of the process. I used a junk bike frame for donor tubing and formed it with a 3/4" electricians pipe bender. JB Weld holds it all together.

I'm looking forward to plunging Atilla's tines deep into the fertile Oklahoma soil.

CLAH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -donor-bike-jpg   -honda-tiller-3-jpg   -honda-tiller-5-jpg   -honda-tiller-8-jpg  

Platinum Member

Is that the tiller than can accept attachments? Do you have any for it.

Did the Kohler wear out? How many hours did you have on it?

Tractor
    TroyBilt Horse

Quote Originally Posted by TimberXX View Post
    Is that the tiller than can accept attachments? Do you have any for it.

Did the Kohler wear out? How many hours did you have on it?
    Yes this tiller is the PTO version that accepts other attachments but the tiller is the only one I have.

The 7 HP Kohler engine is in really good shape and starts first pull but could use a ring job. I bought this 83 tiller in 89 while in California and the previous owner stored it outside and water looks to have entered the upper cylinder. I may bore it out .010 and install an 8 HP crank to make it the equivalent of the 8 HP Magnum. I repainted the engine covers and added an electronic ignition back in 89.

Don't know how many hours on the engine but the original tines were only half worn when I bought it and it's been in and out of storage for the last 20 years with less than 10 hours that I put on it, in the last two years.

CLAH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cylinder-2-jpg   -honda-tiller-2-jpg   -sw-action-jpg  
    Last edited by Crazy like a Horse; 03-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

Hi Crazy,

You did a very nice job with the Ol' Troy-Bilt. I almost bought one at an estate auction before I bought my first BCS, but quit bidding at $300 and the winning bidder got it for $325. It was an older Horse, but I have no recollection if it was a Horse, Horse II, or Horse III. At that time, I didn't even know they had PTO models.

I know very little about Troy-Bilt tillers, but had thought the engine had to be 3/4 inch shaft to fit a special pulley made for the reverser. How did you get around this? Are you planning on building a bigger tiller to accommodate the nearly double HP you now have?
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, Berta double rotary plow, 18 inch combined ridger, Caravaggi BIO90 chipper, Bellon 32"rough cut mower, Del Morino 26 inch rough cut mower, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger,

Deere B, 60, 4430 open station, 4430 SGB, and all the implements to work 'em

Tractor
    Kubota M7040SU 2010

Great looking tiller. I had an old Troy-built that I bought new that I really miss. It got stolen and I bought a new one in 2002 and it's not half the machine the old one was. This one will do but I miss my old iron. If I ever run on to an old one somebody wants to sell you can bet I'll grab it up.

Charlie
    Quitman, TX
    M7040 SUD,
    LA1153 FEL
    Rino 272 Shredder
    Land Pride 6ft Box Blade
    Hay Spear

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BCS 605, 740, 850

Hello Crazy,

That Kohler 7hp is my all time favorite engine but my records show that the PTO models used Briggs 8hp IC and the Kphler 8hp Magnum version not the old 7hp K161. You could idle that engine down to about 400rpm then snap the throttle wide open and it would rev up without missing a beat. How nice it was in pre-pollution control days.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by BCSSHOP View Post
    Hello Crazy,

That Kohler 7hp is my all time favorite engine but my records show that the PTO models used Briggs 8hp IC and the Kphler 8hp Magnum version not the old 7hp K161. You could idle that engine down to about 400rpm then snap the throttle wide open and it would rev up without missing a beat. How nice it was in pre-pollution control days.
    I have a K241 driving a Lincoln ac/dc welder-generator and it sounds sweet just ticking over. Great sounding engines.... Not like the modern stuff....
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Tractor
    TroyBilt Horse

Quote Originally Posted by BCSSHOP View Post
    Hello Crazy,

On this site: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=153157 there is a PDF file that shows the 7 HP was availiable from 78 on and somewhere around 87 the 8 HP Kohler Magnum was offered. I like the 7HP Kohler but I'm tilling deep in heavy clay with the HD custom tilling tines and it really is hard on the 7 HP. See attached picture for comparison of the standard vs HD tines. With the HD tines you're moving a lot more soil. I laugh when I see some of the tiller demos on Youtube. The soil looks like sandy compost. Who has soil like that anyway.

My plan is to rebuild the 7 HP Kohler and keep it for awhile. Maybe I can pick up a TB tiller with a bad engine and repower it.

CLAH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tiller-tines-jpg  
    Last edited by Crazy like a Horse; 03-05-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast