Transmission problem?

/ Transmission problem? #1  

taroblaro

Tractor
bcs 737
I have a bcs 737 with an acme motor. I'm trying to revive it after several years of nonuse. I ran across the problem of the rusted clutch and was able to fix with the wonderful help of this forum:thumbsup:.

Now the next step. I can't shift gears. I can't shift higher or lower. I'm stuck in neutral between 2 and 3. It's possible the clutch isn't totally fixed, but I can now engage/disengage the clutch which I couldn't do before. I can shift into reverse although it seems easier when the clutch is let out (I'm not sure if this is engaged or disengaged. I mean when I'm not squeezing the clutch).

Is this as serious as digging into the transmission or could there be a simpler answer. Thanks

/ Transmission problem?
Progress in the last half hour. I'm not sure how to properly describe this, but I unbolted the piece that tells you what gear you're in. I can now shift to my heart's content with the clutch in or out (engine is off). I started the engine (first time after 2, maybe 3 years:thumbsup:) and the wheels turn. I seem to be able to shift gears. Halleluiah.

So it seems that it's the little ball that slips from hole to hole as you shift that seems to be causing the problem. I'll work on that. If anyone wants to add their 2 cents, great. It's been great just thinking out loud on this forum.

/ Transmission problem? #3  
Hi Spray some penetrating oil on shifter. May be some rust on shift shaft inside tranny .This can be better later with use. May be you can change oil. Sometimes water in oil from condensation. Good luck Oldmech

/ Transmission problem? #4  
Congratulations on getting a great machine.

You pegged the problem. Was it sitting outside? I'd do as Oldmech says and hit it with some good rust breaker like Kroil or JB blaster and see if that helps. The straight-through shifters can be a bugger. Sometimes the spring behind is just too strong and a coil has to be snipped off.

Does yours have a third lever under the right handlebar that is colored red? If so, it's an early one. If there isn't the lever, but there are two T-bars on top of the same handle, you have a late machine. The red lever or t-bar is reverse.

/ Transmission problem?
It lives!!! It's alive!!! The bcs is back!!!

It starts. It shifts, although it still gets stuck between 2 and 3. The beast has been sitting in my basement for way too long--probably 3 years. So it's good to have it running again. I do have a flat tire. The stem got sliced off so that'll have to be fixed. I do have the red reverse under the right handlebar. I have an oldie.

I'll hit the shift shaft with some lubricant. WD40 is all I really have, so I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.

/ Transmission problem? #6  
Congratulations on getting the the old girl up and running. Grease on the wheel speed detent works wonders and lasts much longer than WD40. The inner tube for the 5x10 tires is sometimes hard to find as it is an uncommon size. If you can't find one locally we stock them. They sell for $23.84. Email me if want one from us. I use the sister to the 737, known as a 605. It was under water for three years when I got it!