BCS 201 fixed and working yesterday, now the tiller wont engage!

/ BCS 201 fixed and working yesterday, now the tiller wont engage! #1  

BCSDonnie

Tractor
BCS / Camon C5
Anyone know what could be wrong here?

right, I've replaced the tiller / rotavator seals and refurbed all that end and topped all up with oil (EP 90)

I've rebuild the engine top end as water got in the engine, that's all fine too.

Now yesterday on a test run in the back yard, all was well, engine running, engaged the wheels and it moved forward (this model has no reverse or second gear) so that was all fine and then I engaged the rear tines and they were working fine too, the lever pulled in smoothly and we were off.

I then loaded it into the trailer today, went to my allotement and started it up, however, when I tried to engage the rotavator blades the lever is really stiff and they won't engage :-(

Im wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be offhand, before I have to go and strip the middle gearbox out :-( Oh and the gearbox has also been topped up with the recommended ep90 gear oil.

Any help appreciated

/ BCS 201 fixed and working yesterday, now the tiller wont engage! #2  
It sounds like the PTO slider is getting hung up. Take off the tiller is observe the 4-dog slider on the tractor. When you squeeze the PTO lever the slider should move out to the end of the shaft it is splined on to. If it does not take off the top cover between the mount for the steering column and see why the slider is not moving. Sometimes the splined shaft gets twisted and the slider will not move. Sometimes the rotating pin that moves the shoe to extend the slider gets broken. Anyway check the 201 tractor before opening up the tiller gearbox.

Good part diagrams and a workshop manual are located at BCS America Parts, Service and Operator Manuals.

/ BCS 201 fixed and working yesterday, now the tiller wont engage!
Just come back in from the shed after having a quick look and play and the blinking thing engaged (I wasnt running the engine at all) then when I let go of the lever it stayed engaged when it shouldn't be :confused:

Arrgh! It's one of those days!

I removed the tiller thinking the same as you suggested to look at the pto slider and now it's moving up and down and spinning when the engines running, put the tiller back on and it seems fine again :confused2:

Thing is there must be something wrong somewhere or it wouldnt do this and I think Ill have to bite the bullet and have a look in the tractor box as it's just going to keep happening I'd think :thumbdown:

/ BCS 201 fixed and working yesterday, now the tiller wont engage! #4  
Hey Donnie,

I'm trying to remember from 9 years ago -

My 205 came to me from a rental place. They had it sitting in the corner not working- the PTO wouldn't engage. What had happened was a renter was not fully squeezing the PTO lever and the slider was slipping on the attachment. He had cut a groove through the slider and it wouldn't fully engage. I took grinder, dressed up the dogs, and it was back to 100%.

Perhaps this is your fix. If your dogs are boogered up, they'll be tough to engage and disengage. Use a die grinder, angle grinder, multitool, whatever you got to dress them up a little. Careful not to take too much material as you don't want too loose a fit.