Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #11  
The single direction unit is much lighter in weight but stills digs very aggressively. The lighter weight likely offers some protection when hitting rocks. I was told not to remove part number 10013 which is at the top of the plow shear and was there to aid in grass cutting. Supposedly removing it allowed more clearance for rocks but in reality it created a place where flat rocks could get caught and had potential to do great damage to the casting. Since I do mostly raised beds the single direction plow works perfectly as two passes down each side creates about a 2 1/2 foot wide bed. There are many videos on you tube showing many tricks with the single direction version.

As you just started using it, it should surely be under warranty.

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow
The reversible one seemed like a good idea since we could work back and forth across the garden, in practice reversing it all the time wasn't as practical as we hoped.

Thanks for the reassurance on the warranty. Been having this fear that they'll say hitting rocks is abuse and not covered. $1800 is a lot to us :)

I did remove the cutting shears yesterday after remembering that in the manual. What you said makes a lot of sense. If you give something room to get into a gap and it closes while the obstruction is wedging itself in there creating leverage between the parts the load can be much much greater. On the other hand there are very few rocks that could get up and jam the works, almost all the rocks are large and get removed with a bar or FEL depending on our energy level at the time.

Cory

Just received word from Joel at Earthtools, he is sure that it was a defect in the casting. Says he sells hundreds of single plows and dozens of doubles per year for quite a while and has only seen one single break. So all seems well at this point.

Thanks
Cory

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #14  
Mine just arrived on Wednesday, managed to get all of twenty minutes use out of it since. Seems like a great tool!

Berta is replacing ours, should be here soon.

Cory

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #16  
Although Cory does not appear to have a posted anything about the resolution of this issue, I can say that we did replace the complete plow under warranty. This was an apparent casting defect, and the factory backed it up 100%, including shipping. --Earth Tools Inc.

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #17  
While I consider the Berta Rotary plow nearly indestructible I was shown pictures of two severely broken gearboxes at the NOFA-NY winter conference and asked what BCS was going to do about it. Since neither were purchased from a BCS dealer I suggested they contact the person they purchased it from. I have no other information other than one was from New England and the other from New York. I offered by same suggestion that I always give and that is to run slowly and with light down force is extremely rocky soils. It is a great tool run correctly!

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #18  
One thing that has been a problem is that in early BERTA owner's manuals, there was a recommendation to "remove the grass cutting blades at the top when using the plow in rocky soils"... and some folks actually read their manuals, and removed them. RESULT: with the "stationary" blade removed, not only is the gearbox casting completely exposed to impacts from rocks that might be picked up by the plowshares, but the extra strength that this stationary blade provided (it is a steel bar 5/16" thick and over 1" wide) to the gearbox "neck" is gone...hence, a very vulnerable gearbox, right when you need the strength (in rocky soils). I pointed out this discrepancy to BERTA when I was visiting their factory in 2010, and all subsequent manuals have been changed to show only removing the MOVING grass cutting blades (the ones on the top of the plow rotor). Any breakages of gearboxes as a result of this issue are replaceable by warranty...we have replaced two so far. If there are others out there, they have not been brought to my attention.---Joel at Earth Tools

Although Cory does not appear to have a posted anything about the resolution of this issue, I can say that we did replace the complete plow under warranty. --Earth Tools Inc.

Yeah it was replaced under warranty. I even stated it was being replaced in the post above yours.

Cory

Nice to see you here Joel. Hope you are getting a break every once in a while.

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #20  
Whoops! I missed that posting. Sorry! Moving too fast. Hope's all well with you, Cory. --Joel