Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #1  

clytle374

Silver Member
We got a Berta reversible rotary plow this spring, and started using it yesterday. This morning I make 3-4 passes and the hood jumps. Stopping I see oil pouring out....This can't be good.

DSCN3838.jpg

DSCN3837.jpg

So should I ask for a replacement, or my money back.

Cory

BTW: That is the main casting/gearbox you see broke in half.

Last edited:
   / Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #2  
Hey Clytle,

That's amazing. I've hit some pretty hard, rocky ground with mine in the last year and thought they were indestructable. the pics are too close. Was there a flaw in the casting? Do you remember hitting anything especially hard?

Whether you ask for your money back or to get a new one depends on whether or not you liked the job the Berta did. I would get a new one because I really like mine.

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow
How are they about warranty? They don't say not to use in rocky ground, or I would have bought it. I hit several rocks since it plows so much deeper than the tiller we've been using. If rocks are going to break it, its not a implement I can use.

Cory

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #4  
Are we talking 2 inches of pure clay covering a gravel pit? Nothing will dig that save an excavator. The Berta should do fine in soil with rocks - better than a rototiller, really.

I can't speak for Earth Tools regarding warranty as I've never had a claim, but I'm sure he'll treat you right.

Added new photo

Are we talking 2 inches of pure clay covering a gravel pit? Nothing will dig that save an excavator. The Berta should do fine in soil with rocks - better than a rototiller, really.

I can't speak for Earth Tools regarding warranty as I've never had a claim, but I'm sure he'll treat you right.

Is is mostly good soil, but with larger rocks in it. We hit several rocks but dig them out by hand.

Cory

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #7  
Hello Clytle,

I guess fortunately I was warned that occasionally such catastrophic things like than can happen in extremely rocky conditions so I have always run the rotary plow at very slow speeds in very rocky conditions. I have stalled the engine many times and have had to get the pick and pry bar to remove the rock. I run the single bottom rotary plow with a tractor with an extremely heavy engine (either the 14hp Kohler Magnum or 10hp Yanmar diesel) so I can react quickly when I starts to pull up 50lb rocks. I love the rotary plow but understand it has limits. As I tell people when I deliver one to them, "The plow won't break the rocks so don't let the rocks break the plow". With over 70 units in my local customers hands no one has damaged anything more than bent a plow shear

I suggest finding a way to run the plow with less rear weight bias to reduce its tendency to dig so aggressively even if you go to the single bottom version. The results far exceed any other small tool at breaking new ground. If I had only one tool for my BCS it would be the Berta Rotary Plow. Get a new one!

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #8  
John is giving you excellent advice. Do you have counterweight on the engine? I run my double plow on my 830 with 11 hp Kohler diesel - not a light engine. I still fabbed up a heavy duty front bumper and mounted two 25 lb front weights. You're just not gonna get these kind of results with any other attachment.

0406111707a.jpg

Pic above was a fairly rocky area with many tree roots on Oregon, WI. I killed the diesel a few times when hitting too-large roots and rocks. Lower pic shows a rock free area I plowed in Fennimore, WI.

0413111855b.jpg

/ Catastrophic failure: Berta rotary plow #9  
Is that some sort of fabric stuck in the plow blade in the top photo?

I didn't see any fabric in it.

I'm still running the 11 hp Kohler diesel. I've had it jump on rocks, but never bind up on them. I've always lifted it over them.

As far as the results: It works great. I beats a tiller on a 4-wheel or 2-wheel tractor any day.

I'm hoping that they warranty it okay since its a pretty expensive item. Is the single direction version a lot stronger?

Thanks
Cory