Hatz diesel on 850 BCS

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
A friend of mine just bought a new 853 to replace his 850. He loaned it out and got it back in bad shape. The Vanguard v-twin on it is shot. I may be able to get him to sell it to me. If I can get it, I'm interested in converting it to diesel. His 853 has a Lombardini 15LD440 on it. It's about 11hp. I've had a bad experience with Kohler in the past and don't want to go that route if I don't have to. What's your take on Hatz engines? I know Agria used them for a while. Are they good or bad? Is there a comparable model to the Lombardini?

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #2  
Hi! I think Goldoni use Hatz diesel engine .May be the best for reliabily but very expensive (From Germany) One very good engine is The Yanmar with new fuel injection may be the best for fuel economy (as 160 grams by hp hour vs 180 grams for other) Agria use Yanmar Lv100 diesel engine on AGRIA 3400. Some peoples in Europa prefer the Yanmar over the Lombardini, I think all these engine can fit on BCS 850 Some with adapter. Good Luck Oldmech.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS
Cool. Thank you!

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS
Would anybody happen to know the size of the crankshaft used on BCS tractors and the bolt pattern? I was talking to someone at Continental Engines about the Hatz, and he said they had a different layout than the Lombardini. Wondering if someone might have a little input.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #5  
The honda engines used would have to have the same crank shaft stub diameter as the Lombardini engines I believe.

The Honda engine web page has the information on the cranks as part of the engine information I believe.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS
Honda has about 8 different shaft sizes and lengths on their site. Still lost. Some say it requires a 6 bolt European bolt pattern. Some say straight shaft and some tapered, from what I've seen.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #7  
The BCS was "made" to fit the 6 bolt pattern that Acme used. With Acme exiting the US market in the Early 90's, an adapter was made to accept the four bolt pattern more common in the US.

The original clutches were made for the very short tapered shaft on the Acmes as well. Now the clutches are made to fit the standard 1 inch keyed shaft. You can also get a clutch for a 3/4 inch keyed shaft and a 1 1/8th inch keyed shaft. The newest clutches don't need a keyed shaft. They come with a tapered shaft cover and are bolted on through the clutch into the end of the shaft.

As long as the Hatz has a "standard" 4 bolt mounting pattern and a one inch keyed shaft, you should be able to mount one with what you got on the 850.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS
Thank you! I'm surprised this information isn't more available online. Maybe I don't know where to look.

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #9  
Hi! Look for SAE flange with one inch keyed straight shaft. Often on sale are long taped shaft engine. These engines are for generator or pumps. No suitable for two-wheels tractor. Good luck Oldmech

/ Hatz diesel on 850 BCS #10  
If you use a Hatz I think you want a 1D50 or equivalent Hatz engine to replace the old one.