electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely?

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
A web search finds a bunch of 4-wheel garden tractors that have been converted to run off batteries+electric motor, but I have yet to find someone that has done this conversion with a BCS or Gravely tractor.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #2  
Electric power is too costly to be practical. I recently proved this when my son was thinking about getting an electric car. If I recall correctly, the break even point is at about $14-$20 per gallon of gas. It would be higher when doing a retrofit as all that technology comes at a rather steep price. If the Govt didn't mandate it and subsidize it, there would be no electric or hybrid cars made in any sort of production quantities.

If "green" is your concern, get a goat and possibly a horse. The problem with that solution is that the animals have to be fed and watered every single day whether they do work or not. That fact is part of what put Gravely in business to start with.

Of course, there is the problem of the pollution that people produce from just living. The only option there is to stop living on this planet. Not many people choose this option.

The bottom line is that very few have done an electric conversion and for some very good reasons. I would go propane (man made fuel) before going electric. Propane actually makes sense.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #3  
Electric power is too costly to be practical. I recently proved this when my son was thinking about getting an electric car. If I recall correctly, the break even point is at about $14-$20 per gallon of gas. It would be higher when doing a retrofit as all that technology comes at a rather steep price. If the Govt didn't mandate it and subsidize it, there would be no electric or hybrid cars made in any sort of production quantities.

If "green" is your concern, get a goat and possibly a horse. The problem with that solution is that the animals have to be fed and watered every single day whether they do work or not. That fact is part of what put Gravely in business to start with.

Why even bother cutting grass? Let it grow. It is good for the environment.

Of course, there is the problem of the pollution that people produce from just living. The only option there is to stop living on this planet. Not many people choose this option.

The bottom line is that very few have done an electric conversion for some very good reasons. How much work can a tractor do before it needs to be recharged?

I would go propane (man made fuel) before going electric. Propane actually makes more sense.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #4  

I'd love to see the "proof" you provided your son. I've never done any math, but it would seem to me it wouldn't take long to make back the investment on an electric conversion for a car when it cost $60 (here anyway) to fill a small car and I believe about $10 to charge batteries to go the same distance (several charges of a couple bucks each).

There are no subsidies for hybrids, at least not here, anymore, and they sell just fine at a reasonable price. The car itself as been subsidized throughout history and you could make the case that gas powered cars are still subsidized by the healthcare system for the emissions they produce causing conditions such as asthma, lung and heart disease (read smog). There's always a way to say the true cost is higher because of x. Less informed people even try and put forward that charging a cars batteries can emit more than filling a gas tank because the electric power is coming from coal.

I don't have the answers about electric vs gas and I'm not going to be the first to jump on electric car wagon, but I embrace the new technology and it always bothers me that so many people try to fabricate reasons not to move forward.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #5  
Haven't seen that type of conversion, seems size might be an issue, but think about the traction because of the weight. I did convert an old Ariens tiller to electric, using an old 1 1/2 hp motor. It is 110v, use a long, heavy power cord. It fits in the raised beds and other tight areas the BCS can't fit. Works like a charm, but a little heavy. Think it would dig to China if I let it.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    982.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    931.9 KB · Views: 1,233
   / electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #6  
Hey Fred,

Long time, no see. What have you been up to? Still got all them BCSs in the bus?

I've seen those Allis Gs and such converted to electric, but I agree with CM, you're gonna have a weight issue - not necessarily the motor, but the batteries. The Allis has the advantage of being big enough to carry around 400 lbs of batteries, but a two wheel tractor would be pretty clumsy at 600+ pounds. You could run smaller battery packs, but then you'd be limited on runtime. A long drop cord would be OK if you're close to a power source and are mindful of the location of the cord. If the battery technology would improve, it'd be a good unit - quiet, no emissions,, gobs of torque, an on/off switch instead of a clutch, can be charged off solar panels. Frankly, no downside.

Richard,

I too would like to see your calculations. As far as I see it, the limiting factor in electric cars, trucks, bikes, tractors is the electrical storage. Current batteries are not capable of replacing the convenience of internal combustion.

I can see the regular arguments against electric cars - Low on gasoline? pull into a station and be back on the road in 10 minutes. Low on electricity? Sit around for several hours while the car charges itself. Run outta gasoline? Walk 5 miles and bring a couple gallons back. Run out of electricity? Push. Wanna go more than 200 miles in an electric car? Sorry Charlie. Need it fixed? better be close to a dealer because Pa's Shadetree Service isn't gonna fix it.

120 years ago, when internal combustion engines were being invented, the same arguments were made. The world was geared to animal propulsion. Fuel was anywhere the horse could drop its head. You could put your horse up at a stable in every town. Any blacksmith could shoe a horse and a wheelwright could fix a carriage wheel. When automobiles came about, they were considered a rich man's toy for the first 20 years. Fuel was expensive and unreliable. No one could fix them when they broke and they broke often.

Fuel from the ground isn't ever gonna be "cheap" again. That includes propane, natural gas, crude, or coal. Sure it'll always be available, but at what price? 15 a gallon? 50 a gallon? Tomorrow's fuel is gonna have to come from the air - solar, wind, tidal, biofuels, etc.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #7  
farmerboybill, I agree with everything you said, except not being able to go more than 200 miles. Your point is sound, once you're out of juice, it takes a long time to recharge, and if you want to go longer distances today, you have to pay for the privilege, but check this out if you want to see the future of electric cars.

Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #8  
I did the allis G electric conversion. The devil was in the details on that job. Bill is right about the weight. A lot easier to move with four wheels and a steering wheel. But if the BCS could have a powerful enough electric motor and a battery pack that weighed under 100 pounds so in the same ball park as a diesel engined tiller it would work. The battery pack would need to be like our cordless drills. Pop it out and charge it and put in the second pack while the first is charging. I think we are really close to a battery pack that would do that for us. If we can afford it.

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #9  
I forgot to add that the most important use for an electric tiller would be in Greenhouses. I have seven and really wish I could till with an electric tiller in them. I have seen a picture of a goldoni running on propane in a large Dutch greenhouse. The floor polishers for the big box stores are propane powered. I looked into propane carburetor but never went down that path.

Jim

/ electric motor conversion for a BCS or Gravely? #10  
it cost $60 (here anyway) to fill a small car

All gasoline costs pretty much the same the world over. It is the taxes on that gas that makes the prices different.

I have met more than a few people that left Canada and the primary reason they left was the high taxes. Don't worry, the US will catch up. As of this year, the USA has the highest corporate tax rate in the world....and people wonder why corporations are leaving the US.