First drive

/ First drive #1  

joebobbill

Tractor
none
I visited my local dealer and test drove a BCS 853. This was a first for me. We brush mowed a patch of forest, then tilled the same area.

I found the differential and independent brakes pretty easy to use. I can't imagine using the thing with a differential.

How do you know which 2-wheel mowers have differentials?

The test drive convinced me it could go anywhere I need to go, and it can turn around on a dime. These are pretty important.

The drawbacks involve what I can do when I get there. My current tools are a garden wagon, shovels, hoes and a pick axe. The two wheel tractors offer an upgrade for the wagon and hoes, but offers nothing to upgrade the shovel and pick axe.

JBB

/ First drive #2  
Hey Jobob,

There are only a few machines that had differential - 735, 745, 737, 604, 605, some 730s, 732, 830, 850, 852, 853, 945, 946, and 948. The new 740 and 750 also have diff lock. Other than those, all other models are solid axle - 201, 204, 205, 715, 725, 710, 716, 720, most 730s, 718 722, 602, 620. Far and away, you're most likely to run into a solid axle machine used. I don't know the ratio of solid versus differential, but it's gotta be 10 to 1. The only one that might mess you up is the 730. They only made a very, very few 730 differential machines 99% of the 730s out there are solid axle.

If you don't want to memorize the model numbers, another quick way to determine solid vs. differential is the fact that all older differential machines will have a T-bar and new machines will have a differential lever on the right handlebar to lock and unlock it. Also, most solid axle machines will have stock 4 by 8, 16 inch tall tires on nonadjustable rims. a few might have bigger tires, but I doubt you'll ever find a differential machine running around on the 4 by 8s.

Shovel and pick axe are replaced by the rotary plow and reciprocating spader. You won't see a spader at any BCS dealer because BCS doesn't make a machine capable of handling it well.

/ First drive
farmerboybill,

Thanks for the info on differentials.

Google "quick spade combo". That, on a smaller scale, is the spade job I have in mind. I realize 2 wheel tractors don't have FEL, and the quick-spade goes on a FEL, but I need something to dig holes and help transplant vines.

JBB

/ First drive #4  
The rotary plow will dig a 10 inch wide 12 inch deep hole if you just drop it in the ground in neutral. It will also make a 10 inch wide 12 inch deep trench or a 20 inch wide trench if you plow out the second pass. Is this adequate for transplanting vines?

/ First drive
Farmerboybill,

>[A rotary plow] will also make a 10 inch wide 12 inch deep trench...
>Is this adequate for transplanting vines?

No. You have to scoop under the vine. Also, there would be collateral damage to the roots due to the spinning plow.

JBB

/ First drive #6  
I guess I was thinking of the second part of the operation - digging the hole in which the transplant will go.

What sort of vines are we talking about here? Grape? Hops?