acme a220b carb question

/ acme a220b carb question #1  

jomifo

Tractor
BCS 852
Hi all-

Just acquired a bcs 715 with an acme a220b. Wouldn't start when I got it, but took the carb off and cleaned it (full of gunk). This carb has two lines going into it. One from the fuel tank and one from the engine. I assume the one from the engine is a vacuum line. There are arrows on the inlets that these hoses connect to. The inlet for the hose coming from the fuel tank is pointing away from the carb and the other inlet where the vacuum line is attached is pointing towards the carb. Not sure that makes sense to me and was wondering if the hoses got switched at some point?

Also, the sleeve coming out of the engine that the vacuum line connects to started moving into the engine when I pushed the hose on to the end. Is that normal? I pulled it back out with some needle nose pliers.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
   / acme a220b carb question #2  
Hello Jomifo,

The Acme A220B engine has one fuel line from the gas tank going to the fuel inlet on the carburetor. The other line is from the crankcase breather and gets connected to fitting on the air filter or to a flange that the air filter mounts to. On many A220B engines this hose is just allowed to vent to the atmosphere. The hose as it goes into the crankcase breather fits over the bushing which may bush back as you attach the hose. Take the breather off the engine and attach the hose them reinstall the breather.

This is a fairly good engine if you keep oil in it and don't adjust the gap between the flywheel magnets and the coil. The gap should be no tighter than .020". A very tight gap will cause the magnets to loosen in the flywheel and shear of the coil. Not a good thing!

/ acme a220b carb question
Thanks BCSSHOP. I actually figured out what the deal is.. both hoses are from the fuel tank. One hose comes from the opposite side of the engine. It starts off as a hose, then connects to a metal line and goes through the engine and then a hose connects to that line into the carb. I suspect since the hoses come out of the tank fore and aft that the reason for two is so the fuel will get picked up whether the engine is tilted either way.

Anyways, I didn't see any pics quite like mine on the net, so maybe mine is an odd configuration. I'll post some pics.