Sickle bar advice needed

/ Sickle bar advice needed #11  
Hey Bruce,

Wait, did I miss something? Is it working? What did you fix?

Google translate says Italian for "Shazam" is "Shazam"

/ Sickle bar advice needed
No not fixed yet Just looking for some nicer words to say

Came home tonite and disassembled the whole cutter bar. The problem has to be in the lower blade. Didn't find anything that had it jammed up but I'll figure it out eventually. I"m a little slow sometimes :)

Success at last. At least I hope. She's moving like a high school kid on prom night.

/ Sickle bar advice needed #14  
I've always had good luck fixing something by taking it apart, not finding anything wrong, then reassembling it, and it works.

Bruce

/ Sickle bar advice needed #15  
Hey,

Glad to hear you got it going again. Did you ever discover what made it stop?

Hey,

Glad to hear you got it going again. Did you ever discover what made it stop?

The bottom blade must have had something that jammed it, although I couldn't find anything in there when I disassembled it, or anything on my garage floor afterward other than fine dirt and debris. I was expecting to find a piece of locust or something larger.

Well took her back out to the jungle this weekend and now have a tooth that is sideways. No way to fix this in the field which sux. I will have a sickle bar for sale if anyone needs one.

The good news is that I ordered a Berta Flail. While this beast is heavy she is like butta. Everything is great butta weight

I can deal with the weight though. It's much better than all the breakdowns with the finicky sickle bar

So IMHO. If you need to mow the tough stuff. Get the flail. But do watch out for the wire, which I also found. Took me 30 minutes in the sun at 100 degrees to cut a bunch of wire loose. But at least no damage to the cutter. I ran over stumps and rocks that would have been death to the sickle bar, with no regard

That's my $0.02 worth as a noob

BTW - the flail is a workout, especially on the hills.

Last edited:
   / Sickle bar advice needed #18  
Send Joel at earth tools or the other gentleman who is a BCS dealer from Watkins Glen NY a PM and they can help you.