Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's?

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's? #1  

scottmartin49

Tractor
bcs, ferguson, a/c
Gas or diesel (replacing an Acme AL330 rope start); don't want to have to fit adaptors, change clutches, etc.; just bolt it on and go.

Thanks, Scott

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's? #2  
If you're not willing to change clutches or add an adapter, your only choice is a Kohler Command Pro with short tapered shaft Joel offers. As far as I know, there's no other source for this engine -

9.5 hp Kohler model CH395, recoil start: $545 (does not require adapter kit!!)

Here's the link. Scroll 3/4 way down to see the engine sale post - Earth Tools Bulletin Board

Otherwise, you're gonna need an adapter and cone clutch.

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's? #3  
You might consider a Hatz diesel too with recoil start.

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's?
Excellent engine- which model #? HP? Will it fit the chassis as well as the motor mounts? Has anyone actually mounted one?

Thanks, Scott

Any reason why this wouldn't fit? Kohler KD350D- on the tech docs I see an ISO taper and 6 bolt mounts.

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's? #6  
That's a setup that is optional for that engine. Far and away, the most common setup is a 1 inch keyed shaft and 4 bolt mounting. I suppose you could pay a premium, custom order it from somewhere, and hope you get the right engine when it comes in months later. Keep in mind that BCS has put adapters and cone clutches on their new machines for 20 years now. Why wouldn't they just order the engines to these specs instead? You also gotta make sure it's a SHORT tapered shaft. The long tapered shaft is for generator applications.

Another note. You're looking at a 7 hp engine. While it'll be nearly as powerful as the 10 hp gasoline engine you're removing, you should consider getting a 10 hp KD 420 instead.

"Why wouldn't they just order the engines to these specs instead?";

Darn good question; my guess would be cost and uniformity. Easier to flog gas jobs to the mass market, bigger profit margin to the seller. Not a better deal technically, or to a knowledgeable owner.

Seem to recall a 350cc diesel as being the original option for my 735, and it's way better than the sub-300cc Kohler available through Earth Tools.

Seem to recall that the diesel for those 30 series Deere's was also rated lower HP than the gas- would you rather one of those?
Not to seem rude, but don't foreclose open requests for information due to your own glaring prejudices/opinions. I just asked if it would fit.

Scott

/ Bolt on engine options for an old 735 with 6.5/80/12's? #8  
Alright. I'll give you the answer you WANT - yes it will fit if it has the short tapered shaft. Good luck finding one.

"Good luck finding one":laughing:

Chill Bill....go play with your tractors for awhile. It's about fixing old machinery, not your delicate ego!

Thanks for the factual response, and I'll trust that it's accurate.

Scott