Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste?

/ Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste? #1  

PGC

Tractor
BCS 853 (weights, 30" tiller, furrower, 40" mower, 20" mower, 1,200 lb trailer, scraper blade)
Apparently the Italian gearbox is $250 and the Indian version is only $50. Seems obvious, but is the Indian version an acceptable replacement on any level?

/ Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste? #2  
Hey PGC,

I wasn't aware that there was two levels of gearboxes. Are you ordering this through a local dealer or Earth Tools? What's wrong with your current gearbox? It probably depends on how many hours you plan on using it. While not always the case, the more expensive item tends to be the better built one.

/ Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste?
Hey PGC,

I wasn't aware that there was two levels of gearboxes. Are you ordering this through a local dealer or Earth Tools? What's wrong with your current gearbox? It probably depends on how many hours you plan on using it. While not always the case, the more expensive item tends to be the better built one.

Hey Bill,

It actually isn't mine, but I was considering trading my 3-blade BCS mower deck for it. He says the cheaper gearbox came from Earth Tools and that they were stock on DM mowers until they were proven to have a 5% failure rate. I guess the age old problem bit his last gearbox....loaned out to a friend and poof it was blown.

I think I'm going to just shy away from brush mowers altogether and wait till I can get the funds together to pick up a Berta flail....only $1,750 + shipping and a quick coupler. :(

/ Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste? #4  
Yep, the age old problem of "Save and get the better one later, or settle for the lesser one now". The Berta is a much better tool all around, but the rotary mower will get the job done and for less money.

Still, if his is a LOT cheaper than new ($950 on the 26 inch rotary) and the gearbox is fixable, you could fix it and have it for now. If the gearbox is toast, you're only in for a $150 gearbox. You can then sell it for close to what you have in it once you can afford to get the Berta....

/ Del Morino brush mower replacement gearbox.....India version decent or a waste?
He has actually already replaced the gearbox with the Indian version and was cool enough to tell me ahead of time that he used the cheaper one...so it has a new box, just not the Italian one. I really don't need it right now so I'm just going to wait for the BF flail.