Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #1  

BCSSHOP

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 605, 740, 850
BCS has announced that the Kohler and Yanmar air-cooled diesel engines will NOT be compliant to 2013 and beyond emissions standards and as such will not be offered beyond the supply of engines built before December 31,2012. The engine manufacturers can build any number of engines they choose before December 31st but they must be sold within 2 years. Which always raises the question about the long term parts availability for discontinued engines.

Both manufacturers will be expanding their work on small water-cooled engines which are easier to build to to be compliant. Apparently it is too difficult maintain adequate heat in the air-cooled engine over such variable load conditions. The Kohler and Yanmar diesels may still be used for full fixed speed applications such as generators and water pumps.

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #2  
Is this for Europe, Asia and North America? Everywhere?

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012
This was an announcement from BCS America so I expect this is for North America only.

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #4  
Sounds like this may wind up to be the end of the OEM diesel era for BCS entirely. If and when a water cooled unit is developed, size and cost may prove to be prohibitive to consider for this type of tractor. To be honest, this really seems kind of silly. All of how many diesel BCS's are fouling up the enviroment?

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #5  
Hi! I know one air and oil cooled small diesel engine. This engine complies EPA Tier 4. The Kubota OC- 95 E3 . Heavy 123lbs and expensive about 3K. I ask me if new law are very good. I think small engine make less polution than big gas engine. Good luck Oldmech

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #6  
This is funny considering at my last Kohler dealer update, we were told that the Kohler diesels were 2014 compliant.

/ Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #7  
While this sucks - Thanks EPA - I wouldn't be too concerned about buying a new diesel powered BCS or Grillo in the US after 2013. This simply means that Earth Tools will once again be the go-to place for diesel powered two-wheel tractors. Joel was the only source for diesel powered walk behind tractors all through the 90's and most of the 2000's (until VERY recently, you could only get the overweight Yanmar at any other dealer). I know for a fact that Joel will have diesels at least for the next 3 years and on into the future. Anyone who wants to verify can call Earth Tools and ask.

Last edited:
   / Diesel compliance ends December 31, 2012 #8  
Farmerboybill...thanks for relaying the news from Joel.