Well I made one decision.

/ Well I made one decision. #1  

Votum

Tractor
Farmall A, Case Ih DX55, Bobcat 751
Greetings,
After doing some traveling, to test operate both a Grillo 85D & a BCS 732, I am going to go with the Grillo. However now comes the fun part. I am leaning towards the Grillo 85D with the 9hp Honda. However I have been wondering whether not the machine would be able to keep up as the business grows. I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot by buying a machine that in 3 year needs to be replaced because it isn't as efficent. Would I be better off just saying screw it and moving up to the 107D with the 11hp Honda? From what I can see, the physically the machines are the same size just the 107D has more room for expansion.

Thanks

/ Well I made one decision. #2  
Greetings,
After doing some traveling, to test operate both a Grillo 85D & a BCS 732, I am going to go with the Grillo. However now comes the fun part. I am leaning towards the Grillo 85D with the 9hp Honda. However I have been wondering whether not the machine would be able to keep up as the business grows. I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot by buying a machine that in 3 year needs to be replaced because it isn't as efficent. Would I be better off just saying screw it and moving up to the 107D with the 11hp Honda? From what I can see, the physically the machines are the same size just the 107D has more room for expansion.

Thanks
Votum, First off It was only $75 more to go up to the 10 hp kohler But that also comes with bigger wheels/tires which is worth more to me than the extra 1 hp . If you talk to earth tools the grillo 85D can be upgraded to a 107D by changing out the gears set and adding brakes So if you do need to upgrade you don't need to buy a whole new tractor. The 107 runs the bigger 10x20x5 tires
I studied these thing for a few years before buying my G85D;)
My Brother in law (we works in the same department) Told a coworker I would loan him my car in a heart beat I wouldn't let my grillo out of my sight :D
Roy

/ Well I made one decision. #3  
What type of business?

/ Well I made one decision. #4  
Hi,

I am an owner of a 10 HP Kohler Grillo G85D. I purchased it in 2011 along with a 27" tiller and a single Berta Rotary plow. All three items together were a rather significant purchase. For the applications I use it for (soilworking) the G85D is every bit as capable as the 107D. If I had any plans of wanting to mow large amount of land with it quickly (well, as quickly as you can do with a walk behind) I would most certainly have opted for the extra working speed of the 107D.
Keep in mind, the price difference between the 10hp Kohler G85D, and the 11 HP Honda 107D is around 400.00 USD I think. So, if you think there is something the 107D will do very well that the 85D will not do, I would most certainly buy the 107D. 400$ isn't too much more to spend to give you a little extra peace of mind in case your needs of the tractor expand beyond what the G85D excells at.
I have been extremely impressed with the performance of my Grillo, and wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the Grillo or BCS road. I went with Grillo over BCS, mainly because of the price difference of the tractors, and I am certainly pleased with my choice...

-Bruce

/ Well I made one decision. #5  
Hi Votum,

The transmission is exactly the same. The 85d just has two less gears in the box. The 85d can be turned into a 107 if you're so inclined - the two gears can be added, and the brakes can be installed. However you will have the old-style brake levers down on the steering column, not up on the right handlebar. They can be installed on the handlebar, but you'll need to change the location of the column swing lever. This requires getting a different bracket for the left hand side and re-routing cables. It can be done, but it's a fairly involved, moderately expensive project. It's far better and less expensive to just buy the 107d in the first place. It IS still over $200 less expensive than a 732...

If you're really looking for a better deal, consider the 9 hp Subaru. The Europeans are putting this same engine on both Grillo and BCS tractors. It's a great little engine that Americans haven't discovered yet - many are blind to anything but Honda. (BTW, Honda is miserable to deal with when it comes to warranty claims - they can do no wrong, so it must be your fault...) You can buy the tractor for $2225 with 4-10 tires or 2275 with the 5-10 tires Roy mentioned.

/ Well I made one decision. #6  
Bill is right on the money when it comes to the 9 HP Subaru, it is a great engine that comes with a five year warranty from the manufacture. I recently repowered my 735 with one as a replacement for a 9 HP Briggs Vanguard that became too expensive to keep running reliably and am very happy with it's performance. I wouldn't be concerned about a lack of power from the 9 HP engine, mine powers everything I throw at it (38" BCS finish mower, 26" Berta Flail Mower, Berta Rotary plow, 30" & 20" tiller, snow blower, Bio 100 Chipper & sickle mower) without a problem. The only implement which probably could use a few more HP is the Bio 100 Chipper, and it works just fine as long as you don't over feed it. I use mine to shred newspaper for animal bedding more than brush disposal and have never had an issue.

/ Well I made one decision.
Thanks Guys. I was more worried about the ability to power the flail mower when topping some erianthus ravennae grass for small orders. That stuff can give bamboo a run for the money. I think I will just go ahead with the 85D, and see where we are at in a few years. As for the engines, I hadn't considered the Subaru, mainly cause of the experiences I have had with my Hondas. They haven't failed me (knock on wood) yet, where as the Kohler, Briggs & Tecumseh have been disappointing (yeah that's the word for this family friendly forum) for me.