sickle bar mower question

/ sickle bar mower question #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I have a 40" sickle bar mower on a BCS 725. The grass, weeds, what ever I'm cutting seems to pile up on the bar instead of flowing over the bar. I can't imagine how you could cut hay, so I have to assume I'm doing something wrong. Blades are sharp, seems to be cutting fine. Throttle is fairly slow, not too much shake. Speed does not seem to make a difference. Any ideas for next year?? I know what I want is a 852/853, flail mower, maybe a rotary mower, just need the money:licking:

/ sickle bar mower question #2  
Sounds like the grass is too soft and won't lay down after being cut just sticks into the bar. The clearance between the rock guards could be out or the blade/section to the ledger plate. It can also be the angle of the cutter to the ground.

/ sickle bar mower question #3  
Do you have the plastic cover over the front?

/ sickle bar mower question #4  
The taller and heavier the material, the better the sickle mower works. If you're cutting material that's thin or under a foot tall, it'll build up in the bar until there's enough to push it off. taller, thicker stands will flow over the bar better. Of course, the material has to be dry as well. So, next year, let the stuff get taller and thicker, and make sure it's dry before mowing.

/ sickle bar mower question
The mower does have the plastic cover. Not sure about the blade/gaurd clearance, but I tried to get it as close as possible. How can you change the angle on a BCS? Everything looks fixed. I use a 6" extension and the wheels are upsized. I'm confused about cutting dry. Does that mean dry as in no rain/dew, or dry as in like straw? Seems like every time I use it the weather is dry, weeds/ grass would vary from 1-5'tall.

/ sickle bar mower question #6  
You should be at 1/2 throttle and the blade should be sharp. I have a 722 and mowed over 12 acres one time when the hay guy didn't show. It bogged down some it was both 1st and second crop.

I run it no more than 1/2 throttle, that 8hp Kolher has plently of power. I think the blades are sharp, but they will will get sharpened again in the spring. It seems to cut fine, just doesn't shed off the bar or around the plastic shield. WOn't get a chance to work on until January, starting to cut christmas trees.

/ sickle bar mower question #8  
Hey,

When I say dry, I mean cut in the afternoon with no dew or rain. Wet material will stick more. I think it's just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. The mowing I did at Eric's was the same way. When the hay was tall and thick, it cleared better. When it was short or thin, it piled some until there was enough to fall off.

Oh yeah, do you have the end guards on? I took mine off and tossed them. They cause nothing but aggravation.

Most of the time I mow it is dry weather. End guards are gone. Think I'll just plan to resharpen and adjust in the spring. BCS will be just hauling wood and maybe moving snow until then, and with the next 6 weeks of Christmas tree harvest, wont even have time for much of that. It's a tough job, like any other farming, but I'm getting old for the 12-18 hr days in what ever kind of weather--but it is a job, which means money, which may mean a 853 ????

/ sickle bar mower question #10  
Be sure the movable teeth on the cutter blade are fully in contact with the fixed teeth of the stationary bar. Try cutting the same material with the cutter bar when it is stationary to be that the cut is clean and complete. Tighten the pressure of the movable blade to fixed blade with the tension adjusters to get a clean cut. It it is still cutting poorly try a whole new cutter blade. It will make a real difference, just like new tines on the rototiller.