New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor.

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #1  

Phulish

Tractor
BCS 850
Hello all,
Hopefully I'll be buying a BCS 850 14hp tomorrow, it has only seen life as a snow pusher so the owner says. The extent of my gardening skills come from my grandfather with a small garden on his property (tomatos, peppers). But we are looking to move out of the burbs after the youngest goes to college. So I am picking things up here and there when the price seems good or the items are really nice. Hopefully you can understand my ignorance :) when I ask some questions.
Thanks
Bob

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #2  
:welcome:

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #3  
Bob,

Welcome to TBN - there are a few BCS 850 and 722 owners here on TBN - if you use the search function you will find their posts. Mostly about replacement engines, clutch and brake adjustments and so on.

I presume this comes with attachments too other than a snow blade, like a tiller? Also the price on these new was over $3K and I really dont know the market or going price today. Maybe $5-700 depending on condition and attachments.

I got a Gravley two wheel tractor this fall and they are fun to work on and work with, slightly different than the BCS but same in concept.

When you get yours post some pictures too!

Carl

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #4  
Hey Phulish,

Hope you get the 850. The 850 and it's twin, the 830, are about the best all-around models you can buy in used.

Before buying it, make sure the handlebars swing around. I have had to free up half a dozen 830, 850, and 605 tractors that spent thier lives in snow. If it doesn't swing easily, breaking it free can be a task. This can be a bargaining point for price. As long as everything is nice, it's easily worth $1500 w/o any attachments. A little more for a nicer unit, a little less for one that needs work. The 14 HP briggs can be a finicky engine. It's a good strong, smooth runner, but the carb can cause grief. I replaced mine with a diesel.

EDIT - I just found the ad for it. That looks like a really nice unit - you can tell it hasn't sat outside much because the OPC lever and the engine cowl is not faded. Paint looks really nice. the dozer blade is limited in use, but a nice attachment. A new tiller in blue will cost you $615 for 26 inch or $700 for 30 inch. Used ones in excellent condition won't bring much less. You can buy a better quality and better designed tiller in green (Grillo) for $615 in 27 inch, including an adapter.

Last edited:
   / New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor.
Thanks!
Actually only a dozer blade as the attachment, Not too many come up for sale around my area and if they do they are beaten or expensive, if they are good priced and good condition they are gone by the time I can go look at it on the weekend. The wife actually said Merry Christmas and go get an 853 but I am trying to save a few dollars. Unfortunately it's more than $5-700, I would be happy as a lark then. I'll look into that Grillo as I have read that the tines are easier to replace and such.
Bob

Well not an owner yet, Unit never ran for more than 2 sec and that was after I poured gas into the carb. Figured a carb rebuild/ tank cleanout was in order. Brought my booster box there, when asked they said sure the starter is fine but the battery is dead. No problem I have a battery booster, even going direct with it starter was NG. Handlebar pin was frozen tight. So I could not rotate them.
To me they all seemed minor fixes but still fixes none the less when it was advertised as " Runs great so don't be stupid and ask, new battery included" yes that was in the ad.. So although I knew the clutch wasn't frozen, neither were the brakes. The guy sent his wife and son to talk to me and they went to him with my offer and hoping I didn't put the offer too high. His counter was $100 less then what he was asking and that was that. Oh well still on the hunt.
Bob

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #7  
:welcome:

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #8  
Welcome Bob

Thanks for the welcome!!
Ok so I am an owner now, a spanking new BCS 853 with a 26" tiller. The wife said "Merry Christmas stop looking and I ordered 45 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock so you can get to work on my daughters apartment, which ripped it apart after the hurricane out here, so I guess she figures I'll have less of a pile of stuff to fix.

/ New to site, New to 2 wheeled tractor. #10  
Congratulations on the new machine - pictures are a must of course.

On the sheetrock I hope they arent 12' sheets and have some help as well! I dont like any part of sheetrock work especially on celings.