Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Platinum Member farmerboybill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    598
    Location
    Southwestern Wisconsin
    Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    The 605/737/830/850 handlebar system is considerably different than the 732. The 850's pin is completely enclosed in a piece of pipe. It is very susceptible to seizing, especially if it has been exposed to winter salt, and very difficult to break free if seized hard. I don't have a lot of experience with the 732 and 853, but they do not have the same design, it's more of a yoke around the pin than an enclosed pipe - much easier to break loose. I worked on an 852 last summer with a seized column and it took about 20 minutes and very little tear-down to break it free. It had spent all its life on a sweeper in snow (ah, salt).

    As far as the reverser, I've only worked on one 732 and I worked on the diesel engine (frankly, I worked on the customer, there was nothing wrong with machine, but she insisted I look at it). They also simplified the reverser versus the 850 and its sisters. the 850 has a lever on a cog system so that you always flip it forward to go forward and always flip it back to go in reverse. The 732/852/853 eliminated this system. I think the 732's lever works opposite when when in mower mode. If it'll help you, here's a parts breakdown from BCSAmerica's site - http://www.bcsamerica.com/eis/EPL%20Files/2012.732.pdf.

    Hopefully BCSSHOP will be along to help you better...
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, Berta double rotary plow, 18 inch combined ridger, Caravaggi BIO90 chipper, Bellon 32"rough cut mower, Del Morino 26 inch rough cut mower, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger,

    Deere 60, 2040, 3020, 4010, 4430, and all the implements to work 'em

  2. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Tractor
    BCS 732

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Thanks for your help. I checked out the reverse linkage more and it is only moving 2-3mm when I move the lever. I took off the nut holding the cable to the linkage and the linkage dropped about an inch, to where now I can move it with my hand up and down about 1.5 inches. Problem is, the cable was terminated about 1/2 inch above where the linkage dropped to.

    Anybody know how much clearance the linkage is supposed to have on top and bottom? Can I replace the cable with something easily available that will be long enough to have linkage set up right?

    Also, if someone can let me know what the black levers on each side of the handlebars do that would be great!

    Here is a video I made this morning of my tractor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG8JW0q1D7Y

    Thank you!

  3. #13
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    447

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Very clean machine! Thanks for the video.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member farmerboybill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    598
    Location
    Southwestern Wisconsin
    Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    From the video, it looks like the lever down below is sticking. When you release the T-bar forward, that spring down below should pop that lever to forward or reverse (depending on the direction of travel). If it worked at Theros, it sure should still work now...

    The black T-bar beside the reverser is the differential lock. Pull it back to lock the wheels together, flip it forward to allow the wheels to turn independent of each other. The other black T-bar is to rotate the handlebars. Pull it back to release the pin that locks the steering column in place. Once you've got the handlebars rotated, release it to lock the column. One bit of advice - when rotating the handles, make sure all T-bars are flipped forward. On my 850, it's terribly brutal to have the reverser T-bar pulled back.


    You need a manual. Here's a link to one online at BCSamerica.com - http://www.bcsamerica.com/eis/manuals/853%20MANUAL.pdf It's not very good quality, but it gives you a feel for the controls. I'd call Theros and ask if they still have the paper manual.
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, Berta double rotary plow, 18 inch combined ridger, Caravaggi BIO90 chipper, Bellon 32"rough cut mower, Del Morino 26 inch rough cut mower, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger,

    Deere 60, 2040, 3020, 4010, 4430, and all the implements to work 'em

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Tractor
    BCS 732

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Quote Originally Posted by farmerboybill View Post
    From the video, it looks like the lever down below is sticking. When you release the T-bar forward, that spring down below should pop that lever to forward or reverse (depending on the direction of travel). If it worked at Theros, it sure should still work now...

    The black T-bar beside the reverser is the differential lock. Pull it back to lock the wheels together, flip it forward to allow the wheels to turn independent of each other. The other black T-bar is to rotate the handlebars. Pull it back to release the pin that locks the steering column in place. Once you've got the handlebars rotated, release it to lock the column. One bit of advice - when rotating the handles, make sure all T-bars are flipped forward. On my 850, it's terribly brutal to have the reverser T-bar pulled back.


    You need a manual. Here's a link to one online at BCSamerica.com - http://www.bcsamerica.com/eis/manuals/853%20MANUAL.pdf It's not very good quality, but it gives you a feel for the controls. I'd call Theros and ask if they still have the paper manual.
    At Theros they had it in Forward, but when in 3rd gear it comes back fast.

    I replaced the steel cable running down, it was too short and would not let the reverse linkage drop down. With new cable it is able to move correctly and now that problem is fixed, as long as the clamp at the lever holds on. It took some adjustments but I think it is right now. There was some grinding when i put it into gear, so i adjusted the clutch like you mentioned and fixed that.

    On the handlebars, I can not pull the lever loose. Any ideas? I adjusted the cable nut all the way out and it will not flip tot he other side. Thank you!!

    Gonna get my wife to film me showing it forward and reverse tomorrow hopefully. Is it normal to go in reverse in 3rd gear while the red lever is for forward and in mower mode, while 1 and 2 go forward as expected?
    Last edited by grantwallaceco; 02-03-2013 at 05:03 PM.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,373
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Have you looked at the use and maintenance videos on the Earth Tools site? There is a video showing how to adjust the reverse linkage.
    Maintenance

  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Tractor
    BCS 732

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Quote Originally Posted by Ford850 View Post
    Have you looked at the use and maintenance videos on the Earth Tools site? There is a video showing how to adjust the reverse linkage.
    Maintenance
    I did, that is how I got it fixed yesterday. I ended up replacing the cable running to the linkage from the lever on handlebar.

    But there is no video for how to adjust the cable going from the black t-bar on handlebar to the steering column, which would let me swivel the handlebars. Right now it is so tight that it will not let me move the T-bar all the way up. I adjusted the nut all the way out making it as loose as possible at handlebar but not enough.

    Thank you!

  8. #18
    Platinum Member farmerboybill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    598
    Location
    Southwestern Wisconsin
    Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Hey,

    Do you see the cable move at all when you pull the T-bar? The distance needed to move the pin that locks the steering column is less than an inch. I don't think you'll pull the T- bar all the way back like you do the reverser or the diff lock. Once the pin is released, the handlebars will swing. They only go one way. If you can't swing it once the pin is released, or if the pin doesn't release, you'll need to take the pivot apart. This is much easier to do on the 732 than it is on an 850. remove the bolt that goes crossways on the pivot. From there, it's a simple matter of popping the column off - but, the steering column will still be connected by the various cables. You can then get to the pin if it's seized, or just break loose the pivot and use some anti-seize on it.

    Remember, I haven't worked on models newer than the 830/850 much. John Wilhelm at the BCSSHOP would be more knowledgeable than I about these newer machines. I'm surprised he hasn't been on this topic yet.
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, Berta double rotary plow, 18 inch combined ridger, Caravaggi BIO90 chipper, Bellon 32"rough cut mower, Del Morino 26 inch rough cut mower, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger,

    Deere 60, 2040, 3020, 4010, 4430, and all the implements to work 'em

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Tractor
    BCS 732

    Default Re: Just got a USED BCS 732

    Quote Originally Posted by farmerboybill View Post
    Hey,

    Do you see the cable move at all when you pull the T-bar? The distance needed to move the pin that locks the steering column is less than an inch. I don't think you'll pull the T- bar all the way back like you do the reverser or the diff lock. Once the pin is released, the handlebars will swing. They only go one way. If you can't swing it once the pin is released, or if the pin doesn't release, you'll need to take the pivot apart. This is much easier to do on the 732 than it is on an 850. remove the bolt that goes crossways on the pivot. From there, it's a simple matter of popping the column off - but, the steering column will still be connected by the various cables. You can then get to the pin if it's seized, or just break loose the pivot and use some anti-seize on it.

    Remember, I haven't worked on models newer than the 830/850 much. John Wilhelm at the BCSSHOP would be more knowledgeable than I about these newer machines. I'm surprised he hasn't been on this topic yet.
    I took off the steering column like you said, lubed and freed the pin, and adjusted the t-bar cable length. It works great now! I think it is all fixed up, you guys rock! Thank you!! Ill post a video asap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. BCS Owner's Manual - BCS 722
    By LET-CA in forum 2-Wheeled Tractors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  2. BCS 725 - How does it compare to BCS 722 and BCS 735
    By multimiler in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  3. Looking for a BCS
    By farm23 in forum 2-Wheeled Tractors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. looking for a BCS
    By farm23 in forum 2-Wheeled Tractors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
  5. Snow Attachments BCS snow blower and BCS lawnmower performance??
    By MikeB2005 in forum Snow Removal
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.