Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments #1  

jd4310man

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar VIO27-3, New Holland LX885, John Deere 855 C.U.T.
Found a BCS 605 last week on Craigslist for $1500 with 5 attachments. It came with a 12hp Acme gas engine. I got a 26" tiller, 28" snow blower, 40" sweeper, and a 40" side discharge rotary mower. I even got an extra set of turf tires, quick coupler kit, and various other parts. I have a 1978 BCS 715 that has an Acme 8hp diesel that I am switching over to the 605. I have to upgrade the cone clutch to a heavy duty one as i cant exchange clutches with the 12 hp gas because of engine shaft differences. The gas has a tapered shaft that is tapped for a Alan head bolt wile the diesel has the same taper, but is threaded on the end. I spoke with Joel at earth tools and he can get me the right fitting clutch for around $250. This is an early model 605 that has a hybrid pto coupling. It uses the old spline shaft type coupling but also used the first stile flat three dog coupling that was only produced for a few years. I found this out because all the attachments except for the 40" mower use the spline shafts. the mower was upgraded to the flat 3 dog type. I had to fix the snow blower as the metal was cracked where the gearbox input shaft meets the main body of the blower. I added a metal brace to help prevent further cracking. I plan on repainting everything as after 20 years take there toll, parts are looking weathered. The 40"mower will need some attention as well to get it ready for spring. I will post more pictures of the whole rig when I get a chance. I cant thank Joel at earth tools enough on helping me get this thing up and running as he has the answer to any problem, as well as the parts on hand to fix it too. (This is the pic that was posted on Craigslist) 3mb3F23H25Nf5L15Kbd1rfc9fbf16496d1a36.jpg

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments #2  
Good looking machine, I have the same mower that I got with my 735, back in '87. I've never run it with the cover off the belt, and mine is the original silver color. Did you get the sulky to go with the mower? That was a decent price for all that stuff.

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments
No, there wasn't a sulky. I have all the covers and shields for the mower, just haven't got to it yet. Yea I couldn't complain on the price.

Been working on the 605 trying to get it ready to go and got the 8 hp acme diesel mounted and running. I think I'm going to have some counter balance issues as the diesel is much heaver than the gas engine. Does anyone have to use a counter weight on the attachments to get things balanced right? I know that the sickle bar mowers have this issue.

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments #6  
Usually, a PTO extension or quick couplers are adequate to make attachments balance better. Of course, these make the machine longer. I used to blade snow with a dozer attachment. I drilled a hole in the beam to mount a piece of 1" pipe. I used barbell weights on the piece of pipe. I also did this with the root digger plow. Other than that, I usually just use an extension.

I haven't attached all the attachments yet nor have I used them all, but the one that's concerning me the most is my 40" lawn mower. It has a hinge pint to allow the deck to be raised or lowered level and with the heaver diesel, its not wanting to sit right as the extra weight of the engine is causing it to raise the whole deck. I don't think an extension will help this as there needs to be more weight on the gearbox shaft to bring the rear of the deck down.

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments #8  
The tip end of the mower sits a long way from the wheels and from looking at your picture, it looks like there is a flat place there with sufficient room for bolting down a weight. A twenty pound weight sitting out that far in front of the wheels would likely do wonders at keeping the mower down.
Bill in NC

/ Got a 605 BCS With 5 attachments #9  
I have one of those mowers and I'll take a look at how to add weight to it. I think what Wstr75 said is probably right though. If you don't have a use for that motor I might be interested as I just brought home an 850 w/o a motor or clutch. Thanks

Jim

Got my 605 all ready to go, I took it apart and repainted it , replaced all the cables, readjusted everything. Everything is working good. Just tried out the 40" mower deck, Works good but its a little difficult to maintain cutting height as the mower is designed to flex with the ground and their isnt any rear anti scalp wheels. So the height varies according to the lay of the land. I also have an oil seal leaking from the gearbox, needs a new seal. Does anyone else have experience with this mower? The Acme ad37 diesel runs very good, has lots of power, but its a bear to start. can a decompression valve be added to ease starting a bit? Does anyone else have this engine on a BCS? 100_2732.JPG100_2733.JPG