BCS mower versus DR mower

/ BCS mower versus DR mower #1  

Woodsyways

Tractor
BCS 853 Diesel
My dad has few acres of blackberries to deal with on 36 acres of mostly wooded property. There is a clearing on the property that was really overgrown with blackberries and we cleared it with weedeaters using metal blades. Were looking for something more efficient that can be operate on steep uneven terrain with good maneuverability for tight spots.

While looking looking for information on the DR mower I came across the BCS tractor. I was wondering how these two machines compare for cutting brush and ease of operation on steep uneven terrain. For the BCS mower I was wondering which mower style would work best on black berries (sickle, flail, brush hog). We are planing on putting a small fruit and nut orchard in and will be doing some gardening down the road so the extra versatility of the BCS is appealing. Looking at largest DR or BCS 853 with diesel engine.

Any one have experience with both machines? or the different mower types?

/ BCS mower versus DR mower #2  
Hey Woodsy,

Of course, I'm gonna say the Grillo or BCS is gonna be a far superior product to a DR, since I'm a Grillo dealer. DRs are set up with vertical shaft engines, which tend to be cheaper and not be as long-lived as a horizontal shaft engine. The engine is coupled to the wheel drive and the attachment by belts. Belts are good for shock absorption, but they rob power. This is why DR has 14-18 hp engines where 9-12 hp is more than adequate. More HP equals more fuel consumption, not necessarily more power.

The Grillo and BCS tractors are all gear driven - engine to clutch to wheel transmission to attachment PTO. The engines are better quality horizontal shaft engines or smaller HP, but they get more HP to the attachment.

For briars, tall grass, small woody trees, I highly recommend the Berta flail mower. You can only buy the Berta from a Grillo dealer or Earth Tools on Owenton KY. No BCS dealer can get this flail mower. It has a better height control system, heavier sheet metal, more flails, and heavier flails than the BCS flail mowers. It also has a removable baffle that throws the material out sooner. This can be removed when you're just looking to clear trails and don't mind a coarser chop. It can be installed when you're looking to grind material very fine. If all that isn't enough, it's ALSO less expensive than a BCS flail - $1550 for a 26 inch mower versus $1900 for a 24 inch BCS.

Another thing no BCS dealer will be able to get very soon is the diesel engines. There are some out there still, but there won't be in a few months. Joel will have diesels for the next several years. Get a Kohler. The Yanmar is a good engine, but 20 pounds heavier and not well siuted for walk-behind tractors. The Kohler (Lombardini) was designed and built with walk-behinds in mind.

/ BCS mower versus DR mower #3  
My dad has few acres of blackberries to deal with on 36 acres of mostly wooded property. There is a clearing on the property that was really overgrown with blackberries and we cleared it with weedeaters using metal blades. Were looking for something more efficient that can be operate on steep uneven terrain with good maneuverability for tight spots.

While looking looking for information on the DR mower I came across the BCS tractor. I was wondering how these two machines compare for cutting brush and ease of operation on steep uneven terrain. For the BCS mower I was wondering which mower style would work best on black berries (sickle, flail, brush hog). We are planing on putting a small fruit and nut orchard in and will be doing some gardening down the road so the extra versatility of the BCS is appealing. Looking at largest DR or BCS 853 with diesel engine.

Any one have experience with both machines? or the different mower types?

AS Farmer Boy Bill has stated so well Both the BCS and the Grillo
are the better option.

What you want is a gear drive unit and the widest flailmower and
a sulky to ride behind it as this will provide you with the power
and the quality of cut you need.

In comparing a flail mower to a rotary mower there is no comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The flail mower will have a greater total length of cutting edge to use for mowing
and brush shredding. the flail mower will also recut the material at a more efficient
speed as the rotary mower will NOT suction the material back up and shred the clippings.

The rotary mower only presents half of the cutting edge to work at any time with the opposite blade trailing behind.

If you have a 24 inch cutting width yoouu have only 12 inches of cutting edge working at any time with the opposite blade trailing at all times, AND if you go too fast you can forget about mowing in one pass.

The flail mower provides a full width of cut to use at all times.
The flail mower has several rows of side slicers with at least
1.5 inches of cutting edge per pair (3 inches) peer station.

In my example, my flailmower has 16 mounting stations(32 side slicers/48 inches of
cutting edge per row MOWING at all times shredding the clippings to a very short length
as the rotor is rotating at a very high speed of rotation.

It is like comparing a Yugo to a Porsche or a Mercedes diesel motor car.

You have to decide how well to spend your funds as a gear drive tractor
will cost you more to purchase BUUUUUUTTTTTT it will have the longest
life due to the gear drive system AND the gear drive will provide you with
the biggest assets which are more power to the implement in use,
AND NO V BELTS to wear out, slip or break.

Last edited:
   / BCS mower versus DR mower #4  
Hey Leon,

You are right in all you say about the tractors. But, both you and I forgot to mention that, while there are none on the tractors, there are V-belts on the flail mower attachment and the chippers. The only reason they're there is for shock absorption. They do rob some of the power as I mentioned, but the shock absorption they offer is more valuable than this loss. No other attachments have belts on them. The other attachments are all shaft and gear drive (chain drive on the Reschia snowblower)

/ BCS mower versus DR mower #5  
Hey Bill,

Funny that you mention that issue; I do not remember a belt drive on the BERTA flails?????????????????????

At least one of the flails(possibly a non BCS) was direct drive like the tillers at one time I thought? Johns on the board now, maybe he can clear this up???

I thought the 2 snow clearer attachments offered for the BCS and
the Grillo were made by BERTA rather than RESCHIA???????????????

The cutting teeth on the two models cross augers is nothing to sneeze at for sure.

Last edited:
   / BCS mower versus DR mower
In comparing a flail mower to a rotary mower there is no comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it sounds like a Grillo or BCS with the kohler diesel and a 34in Berta flail mower is the recommendation?

/ BCS mower versus DR mower #7  
So it sounds like a Grillo or BCS with the kohler diesel and a 34in Berta flail mower is the recommendation?

YES, YES AND YES. you will be able to mow your lawn with the same mower with zero changes if you leave the height of cut at the same height-2 inches is plenty for both tasks and you can mow brush when its wet too with no ill effects and
you can also avoid the pollen issues-I wear a disposable mask the year round because of the gasoline fumes -3M brand -type 93 ten to a box from Gemplers.

The rear roller will stripe your lawn at no extra charge too haha

Please keep us updated with your purchase decision as you will be able
to get a herd of implements to do all sorts of jobs.

Joel from earthtools ships his 2 wheel tractors and he can get many small implements
for the 2 wheel varmints AND there are many implements sold in Europe that are not sold here too; DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!