BCS 853 Differential Question

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #11  
Hi John :)

Perhaps I got it wrong, but if the BCS 749 is basically an "Americanized" BCS 740 with a few changes to for instance the handlebars, I would expect it to come with 5"x10" wheels as standard?

I have no experience with the BCS 38" mower, but on the somewhat similar Zanon 33" mower, there is a feature on the PTO flange, allowing you to adjust the deck - within limits - to run parallel to the ground with different cutting heights and wheel sizes.

Best regards

Jens

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #12  
Hello Jens,

The BCS 749 is sold in the US only with the 10.3 Kohler diesel engine and comes with 6.5x12 wheels and tires. I have one in my shop. The smaller wheels are ok for running a fixed deck mower like the 38" mower but the diesel engine is taller and mounted farther forward than on the 853. This makes the engine want to plow in the dirt when turning the tiller or rotary plow so the diesels is sold in the US are now fitted with 6.5x12 wheels and tires. BCS built different models of the 38" and 30" mowers for 10" or 12" wheels. The 749 will run without the wheel extensions but there is very little clearance between the tire and engine and batter box. The 853 diesel require the fixed wheel extension for the tire to clear the diesel engine.

Thanks Jens, I appreciate your positive contributions to this forum. It's been 18 years since I visited your country. Time to revisit.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #13  
I have that same set up. Make sure that they mount the steering brakes in mowing configuration otherwise your left brake will actually turn the machine to the right.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #14  
By the way if you are comparing this set up to a commercial mower (Toro, John Deere, etc) you are going to be disappointed. They simply do not compare to a dedicated commercial mower.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question
I did receive my 853 last week. In "mowing mode" the brake levers are correct for left and right. I am not a commercial mower. Just a home owner with a decent sized lot and likes nice toys.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #16  
Hey DLV,

Have you had much time behind it yet? How do you like it?

I have not been able to really put any time behind it yet. I got everything hooked up and played in the yard a little but it won't be grass cutting season here for 2 to 3 weeks. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of machinery. The 853, the zanon mower, and the berta snow thrower. Each one is nicer than the next. Great quality.

You know it's a sad statement when people here in the US have to by foreign equipment if they really want quality and are willing to pay. The residential grade stuff in the US is just crap. We seem to make excellent equipment for large scale farming but if you are a small scale or even a home owner your choices for quality are very limited. This 853 and the implements are built like the US should be building stuff. Good engineering, heavy duty, diesel, and high quality. There is a market for this stuff even though it comes at a cost.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #18  
DLV, congrats on your 853. I have an 853 with Zanon mower, too. I also used to live in Sandy Hook just off Toddy Hill Road. Sure wish I had the dark, loamy soil we had in our Sandy Hook yard. We have red clay here in central NC and probably as many rocks per cubic yard as we did in our Sandy Hook yard, just not rounded by glaciers like yours. We are so sorry for the tragedy that befell your community. We have many fond memories of our time there in the Newtown, Southbury, Brookfield area in the early 1980s.

Toddy Hill. Wow that's close. I'm on New Lebbon. Used to live on Baldwin. I've live here in Newtown for just about 20 years (this is my second house in Newtown).

My kids were in the HS at the time - thank god. Terrible tragedy.

We'll see how she mows. Honestly I'm more excited to see how she throws snow. It seems that 6-8" of snow used to be a lot. Now the new "dumper" is 2'!!! We've gotten quite a few 6"+ snows in the last 5 years. Maybe the warming effect???

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for reaching out.

/ BCS 853 Differential Question #20  
I flew into Hartford the Tuesday after your big storm in February and the GPS took me down Toddy Hill to the company I was visiting in Monroe. The snow was deeper than any storms when we were there. We drove on down to New Haven to meet another company and the snow was 40" deep there. Got to hand it to the CT DOT as the roads were passable and we never had a problem during our trip. Lot of front end loaders working those days.

We lived on Clearview Drive. The soil was awesome. The summer and fall time was great in CT, but I don't envy you the mud season you are undoubtedly experiencing at this time. It is 64 degrees here and I will be cutting the grass here in a few minutes.